Zhongdian


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Zhongdian
April 8th 2006
Published: May 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

After completing our trek of the Gorge, we decided that night to continue west (towards Tibet) to Zhongdian, otherwise known as Shangri-La. We initially planned to return to Lijiang, but we had the time, so we took a five hour bus northwest. Because we planned to return directly, we packed an overnight bag for the trek (and left our large bags in Lijiang). This was good in that we didn't have to lug our huge backpacks with us but bad in that we were wearing dirty and, for me, smelly clothes. But, that's how we do these days.

Zhongdian is on the edge of Tibet but not officially on the Tibetan plateau. Therefore, you are not required to obtain a special permit to visit. (For Tibet, you need pay a few hundred dollars for a permit along flight or an overland tour). Nonetheless, the landscape was very unique to us as we were 3400 meters above sea-level surrounding by snow-capped mountains.

Zhongdian is usually the starting point for the overland treks into Tibet, otherwise, there is not much to do here other than visiting the Guihua Monastery, which is what we did. However, it was definitely quite a sight to see and worth the round-trip ride. The monastery is located on something of a campus and it houses a few thousand monks as well as several beautiful temples. Although we spent only one day (and a night), the peacefulness, serenity and warmth of the city and locals made this a memorable stop.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



23rd May 2006

How much do I win?
Eddie Murphy's "The Golden Child." See you on Khao Sarn Road, in 3 days ....

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb