Yunnan Province :: Busses and the Yuan Yang Rice Terraces


Advertisement
Asia » China » Yunnan » Yuanyang
February 16th 2010
Published: March 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The final stage of our South China adventures sent us flying into the vast Yun’an province of southern China. Everywhere we looked, it seemed that the motto for visiting Yun’an sounded such that, “However many days you have planned to spend in Yun’an, double it - you will not be sorry.” So we doubled it. And we weren’t sorry. Not even in the least. Kunming sits squarely on the T... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Yuan Yang Rice Terraces Yuan Yang Rice Terraces
Yuan Yang Rice Terraces

After ascending approximately 500 stone stairs I was met by this sunrise.
The easy way around rice terraces...The easy way around rice terraces...
The easy way around rice terraces...

... and also the mountain village's main street. Forget ADA accessibilty here.
Our hired driver for an eveningOur hired driver for an evening
Our hired driver for an evening

In the mountains almost anything goes when it comes to transportation. The best option in this territory turned out to be on modified motorcycles with custom-fit cabs and seats for two.
Our Hired Rig.  Our Hired Rig.
Our Hired Rig.

Kelly really had to fold his legs under his chin to fit into the mountain cab.
Our Hired RigOur Hired Rig
Our Hired Rig

It seems as though some sort of bumper sticker like "my other car is a corvette" would be appropriate.
Drying DungDrying Dung
Drying Dung

Gather up the dung from just about any animal around... ball it up and slap it on the side of a rock wall and it will, sure as death and taxes, burn as hot as any wood kindling.
Really, please take anythingReally, please take anything
Really, please take anything

A caption at the front dek of our hotel in Kunming.



6th March 2010

Rice Terraces
Your photos of the rice terraces are breathtaking!
7th March 2010

Appreciated
Hey there. Very nice. Beautiful. Seeing some real China right there it looks like. ;-)
7th March 2010

Have you seen the movie "The Painted Veil"? I think it takes place in Yuan Yang or near. Beautiful movie with Edward Norton and Naomi Watts - we enjoyed it and the scenery is absolutely awesome - like your photos.
17th March 2010

Chinese minorities
Your blog is very interesting. In history, China's majority, Han people and the different minorities lived quite peacefully. If there were some conflicts between Han people and other people, that's because they belonged to different states/countries, not because of their ethnic groups, for examples, Tibetan kingdom and Tang dynasty. In general, it's the culture(Confucianism, Buddhism, Taoism and Chinese language and characters) linking Han people together, not blood ties. And some minorities were eager to learn Han culture, especially the northern nomadic people when they entered China's heart land, for examples, Five Hu and Sixteen Kingdoms and (Manchu) Qing dynasty. Today, there are just a few Manchu people who can speak their native language. But after thousands of years, some minorities still keep their cultures even in China's heartland provinces, such as Hubei and Hunan. A lot of minorities live in Yunnan and Guangxi, and all the people live very peacefully. But if you saw the conflicts in recent years, Han people usually were the victims.
7th April 2010

Yuanyang
Hiya - did you think Yuanyang was worth going to then? Did you get to explore much of the county itself or did you just go to see the terraced fields? I'm wondering about going for my project (on music of ethnic groups in the south), but if it's too touristy and not easy to talk to locals I may give it a miss! Thanks!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb