The Three Gorges


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yangtze River
July 12th 2009
Published: July 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left 'The Johns' air conditioned apartment into the near 40 degree heat of Chongqing along with the other Irish couple and a couple from Quebec. Accompanied by our Chinese guide we headed to the ferry terminal all a little exicted and nervous to see the 'cruise ship' that would be our home for the next while. On arrival at the terminal we were greeted ,surprisingly, with sight of two familiar faces in the form of Mark and Emily; the Montreal couple who we met in Xi'an. We had a few reunion hugs and introduced them to the other couples.

Just before boarding the ship we noticed a few officials taking tempretures to test for swine flu (not an ideal situation to be in after lugging your backpack in near 40 degree heat). However, after the aid of a few cold beers pressed against the forehead and the eating of some ice cream to cool us down, permission was granted to board.

I think its fair to say our impressions of our 'cruise' ship weren't great. The ship was like something out 1930s; in fact it was a floating relic complete with all original fixtures and fittings with the addition of a lot of damp, insects and general dirt. In other words it was a floating piece of crap.

The main escape from our damp room came in the form of the the deck/ bar area, or as the boat termed it, 'the amusement department' . That night we all assembled in the amusement department and watched the amazing views of the bright neon light show taking place over Chongqing wondering what our river boat adventure would bring. (Incidentially the first thing it brought me, Sarah, came in the form of over 100 bed bug bites the next morning).

Bites treated and after a group rant about how horrible the room was we made our wap up to the amusement department and were greeted with the most amazing views of the Yangzte River. The gorges rose up from the river, imposing, magestic and humbling. Somehow at that moment the room was forgotten and we all just sat back and admired the sheer beauty around us.

We all really tried to make the most out of our experience on the boat. We would sit up on deck, eat, drink, take in the sights and just generally relax. Perhaps one of the most memorable nights aboard the cruise ship was our second night. That evening in order to shield ourselves from the mosquitos we entered the bar on the cruise ship, complete with multi-coloured disco lights, beers priced 300% higher than on the deck below, and the sound of deafening karoke being sang by a group of Chinese students. A few beers and a flick through the karaoke book to find some English songs and we all took to the floor for our performance of hits like 'I'm a big big girl in a big big world' and 'Hotel California'. A surreal expereince by all accounts especially when the Chinese students stood up and joined in with us.

Our boat docked after three nights, four days and only two cockroach encounters (only one of which was brought to justice) and as wonderful as it was to see the Yangzte River I don't think anyone would have wished to spend another night on board. We picked up our bags and headed with the throngs of pushing Chinese tourists to get the bus to Wuhan with the Irish couple Niamh and Brendan.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

On board the boatOn board the boat
On board the boat

This was taken when EVERYONE on our boat left to do a tour of the 3 little gorges that we didn't pay for. We were alone on the boat for 6 hours, bored and very hot!


31st July 2009

Hi there!
Hi Sarah, it looks like your having a really fantastic time, Im so jealous. I hope everything is going well and your not missing us all to much haha!!. Everyone at the Ashton Centre says hello and sends our love to both of you. Speak to you soon Laura xo

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 65; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb