Karakul Lake, Pamirs


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Xinjiang » Kashgar
June 24th 2022
Published: July 13th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Karakul Lake



A Pamir is a geological formation it is a flat plateau or U-shaped valley surrounded by mountains. It forms when a glacier or ice field melts leaving a rocky plain (thanks Wikipedia). The scenery we saw today was awe inspiring. We did have a lot of driving but we ended up at Lake Karakul. The Khargush Pamir is south of Lake Karakul. and we saw this along the way. We also stopped at a location where the different colours of the rocks could be seen.

The pictures below show various scenes and events through ought the journey.

Sights on the way, during the drive. The landscape is harsh and the mountains steep and rugged with often snow caps. The average annual rainfall is very low.

First shots of Lake Karamul. There is a rest stop and activities such as walks down to the lake, Yak riding and of course photography. We then moved on to a different rest stop where we had lunch in a Yurt and then a walk around various parts of the nearby lake. At the second stop we could look across the lake to Muztaq Ata (a mountain which has holy significance).

Once again we were the centre of attraction with many people wanting selfies with them. By this time I had twigged that I can also have pictures with the same people. You scratch my back and I will scratch yours.

It was a long day and we made our way back to Kashgar in the evening.

Final Tour Day




This completed our first official tour. The next day (25th) would be a rest day. In the morning we arranged for Covid tests do that there would be no problems arriving at our new destination. There was then some time to revisit the Kashgar Ancient Town and relax in the hotel before heading out for more food at the Turkish Restaurant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb