Total Eclipse (of the heart, sun)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Xinjiang » Hami
August 19th 2008
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One lazy day in Tiger Leaping Gorge (Yunnan province), we started planning our next adventures. As we consulted our guidebook and prepared to travel further south, a nice British lad suggested we check out Xinjiang. Xinjiang - the Chinese province that borders Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgystan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Mongolia, and Tibet and houses the Taklamakan and part of the Gobi Dese... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Camel Promotional ShootCamel Promotional Shoot
Camel Promotional Shoot

At the famous 'Sunday Market' in Kashgar, one of these beauties can be yours for a mere 5000RMB ($750)! Its the shipping that's a problem.
Bath-housin'Bath-housin'
Bath-housin'

As mentioned, we ran into some hotel trouble in Urumqi (we were kicked out of our cheap find at 12:30am) which landed us here. The staff described it as a 'public rest area' and we were a bit skeptical when they wouldn't let us see the sleeping quarters before committing. Then they took our shoes. Turns out, a mere 58RMB per person grants you a day in the lap of luxury, included are: 1. slippers 2. identical (mandatory) pajamas 3. admission for 24hrs 4. breakfast, lunch, dinner, 2am extra dinner (?) 5. sauna 6. pool 7. hot tub 8. the best showers in China 9. a comfy recliner in a public area with TV's where one can snooze. We had no idea what we were getting in to and were definitely pleasantly surprised. 58RMB is close to the price of most dorm beds at western geared youth hostels (the only others that had the coveted foreigner acceptance permit) and these places don't even give you a towel. This also ended up being the perfect place to watch the Olympic opening ceremony amongst lots of excited Chinese individuals all wearing the same clothes as us! Jia you! (add oil!/let's go!)
Our Seats for the Opening CeremonyOur Seats for the Opening Ceremony
Our Seats for the Opening Ceremony

Our bunk-mate found it a little less exciting than the real thing.
Parade of NationsParade of Nations
Parade of Nations

Nothing beats watching the Olympics in free pajamas.
Huang He = Yellow RiverHuang He = Yellow River
Huang He = Yellow River

Drinking huang he beer on the banks of the huang he. Lanzhou



20th August 2008

The Northwest
Wow! I'd love to go on a camel caravan! How hot was it in the desert? I take it you didn't see any scorpions! And to see the total eclipse--what a super experience. The bathouse looks like pampering at its finest. What a grand way to watch the start of the Olympics--and it must have been great to watch it with people from China and experience their pride firsthand. Love ya!
24th August 2008

Sand dunes, camel riding, camping in the Gobi - makes me speechless. What extraordinary experiences. Love your photos of the dunes. So, you traveled part of the Silk Road. Amazing. I just read a little something about Marco Polo, and you are giving him a run for the money.
10th September 2008

Couples Weekend 2008
OMG-LOL-LYLAS. I'm so jealous right now, mainly of those sweet jammies, but also of the camel ride. I can't imagine how funny that night on the luxury recliner would have been with you guys. I think I have found the location of the next couples weekend.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb