Tour of Tibet


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet
August 25th 2013
Published: August 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Tour Of Tibet


11 JULY - 29 JULY 2013





I was very disappointed when I was not allowed to go to Tibet while I was on the tour of Himalayan States two years ago, as I was the only British citizen in the group whereas the rest of the group consisted of five Americans and five Canadians, the exact number of people required to form a group to comply with the visa regulations in force at that time. Needless to say that when the Traveller tour company introduced a new tour to Tibet I was delighted and booked the tour sometime in July.




When the tour information arrived I was pleased to learn that there were going to be only seven tour members including the tour leader. There were four British people, one Dutch person, who is a long term British resident and two American women both of whom were from Ohio. On my fairly long flight to Beijing I met the other group members from Britain, The aeroplane was packed with Chinese families apart from the members of our group.




Around 9:30am our flight landed in Beijing and soon we walked through the enormous shiny new airport and then the shuttle train transported us to a waiting car. On our drive to our hotel I could not help noticing how green, clean and modern Beijing looked. After checking into our smart looking 4* hotel we went out around 3pm especially to visit a nearby Museum of Chinese Women and Children. it was a well designed, innovative modern museum arranged on four floors. The collections included paintings,calligraphies, costumes, embroideries and various artifacts made of clay, porcelain, bronze,jade, gold and silver dating back from Neolithic to modern times depicting the elaborate costumes worn by various ethnic tribes in China. It was fascinating to see the workmanship as many of the costumes involved a whole lot of intricate work. The costumes included headdresses often made of very delicate and intricate silver work. From the photographs on display it was evident that there was a fair amount of cultural exchanges and development both within China and other countries across the globe. Later on we walked along the tree lined main road until we arrived near the shops and side streets with fruit stalls where there were extra large peaches. Although I was tempted to buy some fruit I changed my mind as not only were they not ready to eat but they seemed quite expensive too. When we got back to our hotel we were taken to a nearby restaurant for our evening meal where the food was good. However, I did not approve of people helping themselves from the dishes with their used chopsticks! Soon it was stopped when everyone resorted to using clean chopsticks. As soon as we got back to the hotel some of us exchanged some money for local currency and soon afterwards I got my suitcase ready for the journey the following day and then I went to bed.

The following morning, after a good breakfast we left the hotel at 8.30am and made our way to the airport. At 11.30am we boarded our flight to Chengdu. The flight was quite packed as the Chinese are increasingly discovering the joys of travelling as well as having the means to do so. Many of the tourists in China now are Chinese. Although the flight was only 21/2 half hours long they served us a good meal and drinks. When we arrived at Chengdu we collected our baggage and then Lance, a fellow traveller and I went in a separate waiting car to the Panda reserve that he wanted to visit and had pre arranged a car and guide to take him there and back. Over breakfast he had asked me if I would like to accompany him on the trip. He had asked the Dutch lady before me and as she wanted to visit shops she was not keen on visiting the panda reserve. Our delightful, young Tibetan guide was attractive, very courteous and well spoken. We visited the red panda section first and then walked around the well laid out park with beautiful trees, birds and peacocks too. Soon we made our way to the giant white panda section. There were five large white pandas there but the glass enclosure was misty and because of the overcast weather I could not take good photographs. Before exiting the reserve, we visited the panda museum where we learnt something about them. I was amazed to see body fur on even a one week old baby panda. Soon afterwards we made our way back to the hotel where we arrived on time for dinner and met our travel companions from Ohio, America, both well travelled senior citizens. Later on we went out for a walk and looked at the local shops. After a while we got back to our room when I sorted my suitcase out and kept it ready for our morning departure.

After leaving my luggage out at 7am I went down for breakfast and soon afterwards we got into our Land Cruisers, three people per car and then started our long journey towards Kangding. On the way we drove past attractive landscape with lush green vegetation. We passed by new towns and remote villages on hilltops. We also came across numerous large lorries parked on either side of the road in front of garages getting fixed everything to make the lorries fit for long distance travel across the mountains. We passed by lush scenery with neatly planted crops and came across several newly built or being built towns and villages. Occasionally we came across mudslides on the roads and we drove past a partially dried river . Soon, there was a traffic hold up as the police were stopping traffic because the road ahead was impassable due to mudslides. However, after a long two hour wait in the hot sun we were able to move along but not for long as there was a massive gridlock further up the road. After a long wait again we noticed that the army personnel were drafted in to sort out the problem and they did it at an impressive speed. Eventually we arrived at a restaurant at about 5pm where our guide ordered a nice meal (lunch) for us. Soon afterwards we were on the road driving past lush green scenery,waterfalls, river and virgin forest and we also passed through a long tunnel and soon we were heading towards the Tibetan plateau. We drove over mountain passes and along river valleys of the Yangtze. The road is new and being built now but formally Tibetan traders carried brick tea, wool and herbal medicines along this route to be sold to the Chinese traders. Finally around 10 pm we drove past a busy, modern town centre where we spotted many people from minority groups and eventually arrived at our hotel.

The next morning we left Kangding, the biggest area in Sichuan province and drove west towards Litang which is at an altitude of 14 000 ft. On our way we were shown a map of places that we were going to cover.Soon we stopped by a place where there was a big herd of yak with calves. We saw some women milking the yaks. Yaks tend to be very hairy and larger than cows.Further up the hill we stopped by a place where there were numerous colourful prayer flags arranged in various patterns amidst amazing mountainous scenery. Further up we stopped again to see a variety of mountain poppies in many different colours. By now we were at a height of 4200 ft. We passed through fabulous mountain scenery with alpine shrubs and drove across the Xiangshui River, a mighty tributary of the Yangtze. We also came across substantial settlements with attractive detached houses built by the government for the Nomads. after a while we stopped at the Gorse pass at 4421 m high . As we drove through an attractive Tibetan village named Yajiong we stopped for lunch. Soon afterwards we started our long journey towards Litang set high on the Tibetan plateau. The rich grasslands in the area are considered to be the best areas for raising yak . Black yak hair tents dot the plateau and are summer home of the nomads although some newly bought modern tents seem to be creeping into the scene.

Back at the hotel some of us did not have hot water in our taps and consequently I ended up having cold water showers on two mornings in a row. After a late start in the morning we left the hotel at about 9am and had our breakfast in a local restaurant before driving along the plateau at an altitude of 12000 ft. Tibetan plateau is commonly referred to as the roof of the world. Soon we arrived at the Litang Horse festival venue. It is a popular annual event in Tibet when Tibetan people come from far and wide and gather for the festival. They dress in their colourful national costumes. The festival includes horse racing participated by both men and women and also wrestling, archery, shooting and folk dancing. It is also an opportunity for members of opposite sexes to be noticed ! After spending most of the morning watching the spectacular event and of course the people we had a picnic lunch around 12 noon and then we went for a walk along the vast grounds looking at shops, people and horses.

Litang is considered to be the cradle of reincarnation.The 7th Holiness Dalai Lama was born there. The following morning we visited the Litang Gonchen monastery after breakfast. This monastery belongs to the Yellow Sect of monks called the Litang Chode. It was founded in 1580 and rebuilt after the Cultural Revolution. We visited all the four main buildings from inside where we saw some interesting wall paintings, colourful drapes and statues.We also saw some Tibetan homes owned by rich Tibetans built of massif stone. Following lunch we visited another monastery that was the birthplace of 6th Dalai Lama which is used as a museum now. On our way back to the hotel we visited the nearby shopping area where we looked at some shops and local merchandise.

After a good night’s rest I was pleased to have hot water in my taps for the first time in two days, after suffering cold water on consecutive days. Following breakfast we drove towards Batang, our next destination and on the way made our first stop at a yak camp where there was a large herd with several tents and numerous animals. There were many children too. We walked towards the camp, mingled with the nomad people and tried to gain some insight into their way of living. We took many pictures of them in action while milking, shearing and tending to their livestock generally. A little further away we had another stop where there were numerous pretty,colourful meadow flowers in bloom as far as the eye could see. As we continued our drive we could see the vast green landscape punctuated only by tranquil streams,herds of yak, yak tents and surrounded by velvety green mountains in varying hues of green in the distant horizon. As we continued driving and gaining in altitude along the way (4300 m) we noticed that there was a change in vegetation. We noticed many potentilla shrubs with their delicate pinnate leaves and pretty bright yellow flowers colonising hill surfaces. We also noticed snow poles along the road we were on . Soon we were 4685 metres high and stopped at an attractive beauty spot depicting blue lakes amidst vivid green surroundings of grasslands, valleys and mountains. There were many Chinese youngsters in their cars and several young cyclists on their way to Lhasa stopped by to take in the view and click photographs. We spotted many birds in the area too. We continued our journey only to be rewarded by even more stunning mountain scenery and this time with a sparkling glacier.We drove past coniferous forests and then drove through a a 65 ft.tunnel. Along the way we drove past many villages with large and attractive farmer’s houses. After a while we stopped and took a picture of a Khampa young man wearing his headdress. All along the way we had the faithful river keeping us company. After a while we spotted a petrol station being under construction; a sure sign that China is trying to make an entry into the 21st century. After driving through two long tunnels we came across extensive orchards with apricots and walnut trees and other crops. I could not help noticing many attractive trees including the weeping willows. Around mid afternoon we arrived at our comfortable hotel in Batang with a very attractive garden and surrounded by good scenery. The town itself is pleasant with tree lined roads. Batang lies in a fertile valley at a lower altitude (2400 m high) that promotes the growth of wheat, walnuts and apricots. It is on the border between the Tibetan Autonomous Region and Sichuan Province. In all the places that we visited on the tour we always noticed visible police presence in the form of mobile police vans stationed in strategic positions.




The next morning after a good breakfast we drove through the town and visited two Monasteries where we saw 400 monks including boy monks. When we arrived there we saw some of the young monks practicing their Martial Art type of technique. We noticed fruit laden trees with attractive flowers in gardens. The monastery nearby houses 700 monks, some of whom seemed like small boys. They were going for their breakfast. After looking inside the monastery we walked a short distance to the Rito Pending Monastery where a head monk who had arrived from India on a two months visa was preaching to a large gathering of local women and children who were listening to his words of wisdom. Later on we walked down the street and after a while we came across the ruins of a 300 year old mosque with some fascinating paintings on what remains of the walls and reliefs on the ruins of the walls and the ornate surroundings of the outer wall. As we continued walking down the lane looking at the old and new architecture, we approached the High Street with numerous shops on either side of the street. The local people were going about their business but they seemed friendly and welcoming. As soon as we got back we had an excellent lunch at the hotel and around 2.30 pm we went out again and this time on a shopping expedition. We came across the locals shopping while the men folk were busy playing cards and sipping tea mainly in groups of four on the corridors in front of the shops. We were taken inside a shop selling tea including brick tea. Later on we walked through the fruit and vegetable market selling a variety of produce, where our guide bought some fruit for us. Later on we drove to the Batang village just in the outskirts of the town. We walked through the inside roads and then went inside a farmer’s house where there were several rooms and settees and a large tv set. However, they still had mud floor. The house was surrounded by a small garden and a fairly small farm with lush vegetation. All along the way we saw several attractive farmer’s houses and fruit trees laden with fruit. Soon afterwards we returned to our hotel where we had our evening meal. The following morning we were going to be on the road again.




After putting our suitcases outside our rooms, we had our breakfast and then set out on our fairly short journey to Baiyu, about 200km to the north and still within the Sichuan Province. As we drove through the incredible mountain landscapes we were also attracted by the beautiful carpet of meadow flowers on the grasslands. We came across numerous rare flowers such as gentians, asters, mountain poppies in a variety of colours and many others. We had several photo stops on the way to look and photograph the colourful meadow flowers. One never gets tired of looking and admiring them. Our overnight stop at Baiyu was below standard and we were glad to leave the place early the next morning.




We left our hotel by 7 am and drove a short distance along winding inside lanes to have a view of the Baiyu Monastery. The main reason for the early start was to avoid traffic hold up that are common on that route. Around 8.30 am we had our breakfast on the way. The scenery en route to Derge is superb with dramatic limestone structures forming a stunning backdrop to high pass. As always the river was running along most of the route and from across the river we could see the autonomous region of Tibet. Around this region we got off and met the local people , especially the local women and children wearing ethnic costumes and jewellery. Some of the women and children were good looking. The flowering meadows were an added attraction. In the afternoon we arrived at our hotel that was reasonably good. Soon we had a good lunch and a little later we went out shopping in the neighbourhood.I found some stone beads attractive and bought some z-stone beads for y300. Several other people purchased whatever they fancied and then we got back to our hotel. About half an hour before dinner we had a talk by Docker our guide in Gina’s ( tour leader ) room . Docker was brought up as a nomad, living in a nomad tent until the age of ten. Later on he went to school and then went to Dharamsala in India to learn English. After working for a Chinese travel company, he is now building his business of organising and running his own tours. It was fascinating hearing his story. He started as a poor, uneducated local boy who has done well through sheer hard work and determination. Soon afterwards we had dinner in the hotel which was not as good as the food we had in a local restaurant.




After a somewhat tasteless breakfast of boiled eggs and white steamed bread we set off on our morning excursion and after a short drive arrived at the well known three storied printing house where the monks and local people print sutras on strips of paper using hand carved wood blocks that are stored along smoky walls. The inscribed paper is lifted carefully and allowed to dry for a while. we also saw how paper is cut and prepared for printing and how the printed pages are piled together in the format of books before the edges are made smooth and refined. As we were walking around the building we stopped at a shop that was selling antique objects some of which looked very interesting. Some people in the group bought some unique objects such as a wooden butter dish that was particularly attractive. Another person bought a wick box made out of yak leather that seemed very desirable. Later on we walked uphill to a nearby monastery and after having a look around soon afterwards we returned to our hotel for lunch. In the afternoon we visited several monasteries. Before visiting the monasteries we stopped to take pictures of a collection of stupas and also an elaborate prayer flag arrangement down the valley. Later on we visited several monasteries in succession . One of them was rebuilt in the last ten years which looked bright and beautiful with expensive looking chandeliers hanging from its ceilings. We learnt that there were around 100 monks living in a nearby residence belonging to the monastery. Later on we visited the house of a 28 year old monk who joined the sect at the age of 17. His comfortable looking and reasonably furnished home complete with a large tv set was built for him by his family. Soon we got back to the hotel and before dinner, Gina, our tour leader gave us a talk on the Cultural Revolution.




When we left our hotel the following morning we were driven along a road sandwiched between pine clad high mountains. The tributary of the river Yangtze was flowing beside the road continuously. Soon we came across a construction site where numerous people were working to build a 3000 sq m monastery using traditional methods of construction including tapping (pounding the earth to construct walls). There was great communal spirit there with workers singing and women helping out while their children were standing nearby watching. We were informed that all the people were working for free for the good of their community. As we continued our journey, we were gaining altitude and we had the Trolha mountain range in view throughout. Soon we came across a large herd of yaks which can survive high up. The mountains were not very attractive but were covered over by low level shrubs.The roads were very dusty as road work was in progress and the ever ubiquitous large lorries were transporting supplies for the road building work. Soon we had a picnic lunch in an attractive valley with big rocks, numerous species of meadow flowers and a stream flowing down from the glacier on mountain top transporting crystal clear water across the valley. After a relaxing lunch amidst delightful surroundings we were ready to continue our onward journey to Manigango populated by Kampa people wearing very elaborate coral, turquoise and silver jewellery on their hair. Soon we started our incline and as we drove along winding roads with hairpin curves we spotted some rare and large yellow poppies which was a good enough reason for a photo stop. I was pleased to get some good shots of the large and beautiful yellow poppies and the surrounding dramatic mountain scenery. There were a lot of blue poppies and other flowers too. The mountain scenery changed as we drove higher up and we began to notice small alpine shrubs. After a while the mountains looked velvety green and we could see glaciers glistening in the sun. At several mountain surfaces we saw signs of erosion caused by overgrazing. After a while we stopped a little distance away from a Chinese new settlement to take some pictures. As we continued our drive by gentle velvety green hills with hues of yellow , blue and purple colours we made another stop to look at children playing by a Tibetan primary school. Soon we arrived at Serxu where we had dinner and stayed overnight.




At about 7am the next morning while it was still cold and damp outside we left the hotel and started our journey to Madoi, our next destination. We spotted several clouds floating through the mountains. As we climbed higher up we crossed the border into Qinghai province over a high mountain pass. It is known that unusual red pendulum poppies to frequent that area but we did not see any. However, we noticed herds of yak on the grass doing what they normally do; eat grass. I wonder if they ever go to sleep. We drove past resettlement houses and watched children walking to school while their parents made their way to work. Later on as we drove past we had sightings of land otters, ghazals on grassland and also owls and eagles on posts. When we were higher up, at 4700m we stopped for a photo stop at the border of Sichuan and Qinghai province. The mountain scenery there was tantalizingly beautiful with velvety green mountains seemingly interlocking and forming an attractive shape. Photographs do not do any justice to this unique and amazingly beautiful scenery. Soon we approached a settlement and after some breakfast in a local Muslim restaurant we set off on our journey. There was another photo stop when we spotted a group of Tibetan vultures swooping down by the edge of a stream. Having watched and photographed the birds of prey we passed through another mountain pass 4458 m high. After passing through grasslands bounded by mountains we stopped at Bayan Shar Pass 5000m high which was the highest pass on the trip. As we drove along we we noticed that the scenery changed again. The smooth grasslands had been replaced by rather dry landscape. As we approached Madoi we arrived at a location where the Mekong, the Yellow river and the Yangtze have their starting points.South of Bayan Shan is the starting location of the Mekong and the Yangtze rivers while the starting source of Yellow River is at the north of Bayan Shan. A little later we spotted turquoise pieces of shale. Apparently the shale turns into grey colour under pressure. After a while we came across a massive traffic hold up with numerous mega lorries on one side and a crane trying to pick something out. After waiting for a good length of time, our tour guide along with the three drivers came up with a master plan and they one by one drove very carefully from the road down the slope into the adjacent grassland and finally got onto the main road and thus to our great delight we were able to drive into Madoi and arrive at our hotel.Our drivers deservedly got a huge and grateful round of applause from all of us. On our way we spotted a wild ass on the meadow. The grassland stretched as far as the distant horizon with streams and small lakes interspersed in it. We spotted several eagle nests on the way We also came across other forms of wildlife such as ruddy ducks, wild asses and seagulls. After negotiating through winding roads as we gained in altitude we eventually arrived at our very smart and brand new hotel located at a tree lined road in the city centre. This new town, Xing Hua had the hallmarks of the Chinese socialist characteristics.




After breakfast the following day we left the hotel in the damp morning and spotted large herds of sheep on either side of the road on rich and extensive grasslands. We even saw a young shepherd on a motorbike rounding up his sheep. Further up the road we stopped again to watch sheep shearing. In a nearby pit a large number of sheep were rounded up, given an anti diarrhea injection and then a young man was skillfully shearing one sheep at a time nearby above the pit. There were several people helping and there were some spectators too one of whom was the shearer’s sibling and a new bride who was dressed in a colourful costume complete with an elaborate headdress made up of orange and turquoise beads held together with a large silver clip. A little distance away we passed by a toll road and this was followed by a new tunnel. Soon the smooth surfaced velvety green mountains were in view. After a while we drove along the main street of a new town with new buildings and shops. As we continued we drove along the vast expanse of green grassland where we came across some rape fields and also bee hives. We were informed that people from the the Southern regions leave the hives there in the summer months in order to collect honey. We are now in Qinghai province and driving towards Xinning, our Tibetan guide’s hometown. No doubt he seemed happy and was looking forward to seeing his toddler son and the rest of the family. After a while we drove past another new town that looked clean and tidy. As we continued our drive we noticed a change in landscape when we came across crops of rapeseed and barley and even came across a graveyard with many gravestones. We drove past another new village and soon we had crossed the plateau and began to drive downwards. As we drove past the mountains we were shown the caves where people used to live in. Soon we spotted a few monasteries and noticed a pagoda on the hilltop behind a monastery. As we approached Chinghai, it felt like a modern place . Soon we were in Xining with its high rise buildings that seemed and felt like a modern town. Just before 2pm we stopped at a smart restaurant where we had a lovely lunch. Soon afterwards we checked into our very comfortable and good hotel and after checking in we were driven to the Tibetan Culture Museum where there was a big section on Tibetan Medicine and then we had a quick look at the ethnic costumes and also glanced at the largest and attractive Tanka displayed on the walls of a maze of rooms. Once we arrived back at our hotel I walked a short distance with the tour guide to an ATM machine where I got some Chinese currency. After getting back to the hotel I had a cup of tea and then got ready for our farewell meal in a local restaurant. We walked with the drivers through an underpass with numerous shops on either side. The place seemed absolutely crowded with masses of people everywhere; on the pavements as well as in shops and restaurants. Our table was booked on the third floor of a large and popular restaurant. It seemed less noisy and smarter than the lower floors.We enjoyed an excellent meal there with wine and other drinks. a little later our tour leader presented our tour guide and the drivers with money collected from us with lavish praise that they deserved. After the meal we made our way back to the hotel where the two American ladies wished us goodbye as they were leaving in the early hours of the morning.




After a good night’s sleep in our comfortable rooms we had a sumptuous breakfast and soon we were driven to the Xining airport for our flight back to Beijing. When we arrived at Xining airport, our Tibetan guide was awaiting our arrival. Soon we checked in said goodbye to Doker, the guide and flew back to Beijing. Once we arrived in Beijing I spoke to the local guide and made arrangements for a half day’s tour on the following day of the Opera House, the Olympic site, The old Jesuit Observatory and a visit to a good supermarket. Soon we arrived at the same hotel where we stayed at the start of the tour and after checking in we hired a taxi and went to the well known Silk Market where one can buy anything at bargain prices. It is an extensive market, with numerous shops where one can spend a whole day. However, I spent all my time browsing through the dozens of shops on the second floor selling attractive stone bead jewellery. In the end I bought two bead necklaces and two pairs of matching earrings. After we returned to the hotel we walked to a popular local restaurant where we had been before for our evening meal. Unfortunately for me , two of the dishes that I ordered were not available but I ended up paying the same amount as the others did. As they were leaving a day before me I did not mind.




The following morning we had breakfast together and then we wished each other goodbye before the members of group were taken to the airport. Soon my taxi arrived and around 8.30am I was driven towards the Opera House. As we approached the building, the dome shaped building surrounded by a moat and delightful gardens looked very attractive. It was very sunny and very hot outside. After a while I managed to enter the futuristic building when large queues were building up. Being a Sunday, Chinese people were out in their thousands with their families visiting various attractions. Although I had only half an hour there I did not begrudge paying 30y for looking around. It is a truly stunning construction with shiny and sleek escalators taking visitors up and down all the possible floors, five in all. The internal decor and layout befits the artistic concept of the building and something that the Chinese can be truly proud of. Although it was a short visit, it was well worth the effort and I managed to see everything there was to see.




Soon we were on our way to the Olympic site which my driver informed me would take an hour to get there ! As we approached the Olympic venue the Bird’s Nest stadium looked impressive. The entire site looked extensive and well laid out. It was a long and seemingly never ending walk to the ticket office! Although I just had approximately an hour to cover the Water Cube and the Bird’s Nest stadium , I was determined to see them both and bought the tickets to see both the attractions. After walking what seemed like a long distance in the blazing sun, along the stalls and walking past hundreds of local people on their Sunday family outing, I eventually arrived at the water cube with its swimming pool and of course the inevitable shops along the lengthy corridors. I managed to cover the entire inside quickly as time was not on my side. Eventually when I did make my way out and towards the Bird’s Nest stadium, I found myself walking an enormous distance and persisted and finally managed to arrive at the stadium! Soon I found myself climbing dozens of steps to get to the inside of the stadium (there was no sign of escalators there). When I eventually arrived inside, the stadium looked quite impressive with numerous seats arranged in galleries in each section . The green lawn in the centre of the ground looked attractive . After taking a few photographs I started descending the steps and started my long walk back to where the driver had parked the car, that was the meeting point. As the time was ticking along fast I hastened my walk and finally arrived at the meeting point . The young driver, though pleasant was not able to communicate in English. Infact, he spoke very little English and understood even less. From the conversation I was trying to make with him, I gathered that he was planning to go to Manchester for studies when I informed him that he would have to learn English before he does so. He said that he had been trying to learn the language over the last ten years but from what I gathered the progress was painfully slow! The next place that I wanted to visit was a large supermarket to take a look at the products that Chinese people use. I was not disappointed. There were numerous brands of cosmetics and a whole selection of fruits and vegetables including durian, the only fruit that I am not keen on tasting. There were large fish, meat, pastry and dairy counters and a whole array of nuts,seeds and berries. There were also counters selling freshly baked/ cooked food. The shoppers there seemed well off with spending power.




Although it happened to be a Sunday, the roads were very very busy with traffic. From the number of people I found at various visitor attractions it was evident that they make it a family day out on their weekends. I could not help thinking that from the sheer visitor numbers at the Olympic park it would probably be possible for them to cover the cost of building the enormous Bird’s Nest stadium and the water cube. It was a very hot day. Luckily, my umbrella, my ever faithful companion tried to keep me somewhat cool. It was just one of the umbrellas amidst a sea of umbrellas around. At 1pm I was taken back to the hotel and I spent the rest of the afternoon checking in online and then getting ready for my flight back to London the following day.




Beijing has made enormous leap into the 21st century since we visited the country in 1985. There are impressive buildings, skyscrapers and well paved streets lined with beautiful trees

which with their attractive leaves enhance the character of the place.




Our tour of Tibet was good. We came across some varied and stunning scenery and got some insight into the way of living of Nomadic people. We covered 3000 km from Chengdu to Tibet.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb