Days 7 and 8


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
June 6th 2015
Published: June 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 7 spent vomiting (The Chengdu chunder) and head spinning for Scott. Jerry completely unaffected. Git!

Miles and miles of flat plateau surrounded by mountains and an enormous lake.

Day 8 we had entered Tibet. The guard told us to get up early to see the sunrise and an impressive mountain pass (Tangu La) we travel through. She was right. Up at 5.30 for sunrise and a weird mixture of desert, dunes and snowcapped mountains. Plenty of Yak, a few foxes, plenty of sheep on the way. Homesteads dotted about with earthen walls around small houses and farming plots, plus the occasional wigwam effect made from coloured material blowing in the wind. Checked by Tibetan police in the train and at Lhasa station (3,600m), but finally let us in. Lu and I mightily relieved to be off that train!

Met tour guide holding Jeremy Paul card up! He and driver will be with us for the whole week. His name is tsu an. He is Tibetan and speaks English and Mandarin.

He took us to the hotel and we enjoyed a fantastic shower and will sleep better tonight. Out for evening meal and will start exploring Tibet proper tomorrow.

Scott is puffing on a bottle of Oxygen tonight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



23rd June 2015
Shot of moon from the red planet

This shot is even more impressive when you realise it was taken from a moving train! My brother took it through the window as we were watching an awesome sunrise over the mountains of Tibet at 5.30am. As the sun came up the moon kindly slid down the mountain side. The redness of the rock against the blue sky and the moon reminded me of a martian landscape.

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0864s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb