#52 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (TIBET #2- Day 2 On the train from Beijing to Lhasa, Tibet)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
August 30th 2006
Published: September 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Train tickets are not sold until 10 days before departure in China, and with 1.4 billion people on the move every day, soft-sleeper tickets, especially to Beijing, are at a premium. Arthur did manage to connect us, so that we would arrive in Beijing on the morning of our exciting departure to Lhasa, Tibet. One of the world's "great" train-journeys has been made available to adventurous travele... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

NomadsNomads
Nomads

Notice the tents of the isolated nomads, who move their herds from place to place.
Tibet PlateauTibet Plateau
Tibet Plateau

We continue to travel at over 13,000 feet altitude for some 900 miles.
arriving in Lhasaarriving in Lhasa
arriving in Lhasa

Only a few miles before entering the city of Lhasa, habitation is still isolated.
2  gold yak as symbol of Lhasa2  gold yak as symbol of Lhasa
2 gold yak as symbol of Lhasa

Having finally "battled" ourselves into better hotel accommadations, we found the symbol of Lhasa only blocks from our building.
Potala PalacePotala Palace
Potala Palace

Home of many of Tibets former theocratic-rulers, the Dalai Lamas.
Potala Palace Potala Palace
Potala Palace

Quite a formidable reminder of the conflict between the 14th Dalai Lama and the government of China.
Pilgrims and believers...Pilgrims and believers...
Pilgrims and believers...

travel many miles and often many weeks to pay respect in front of one of Lhasa's holiest sites, the Potala Palace, by prostrating. Even the little child in red has the little butt exposed, as she imitates her mother.
Prayer-wheelsPrayer-wheels
Prayer-wheels

Each contain rolls of scriptures, and are always turned clock-wise by the pilgrim.
Pilgrims PathPilgrims Path
Pilgrims Path

As Tibetan Buddhists follow the pilgrim's path, walked similarly for centuries, they spin each of the prayer wheels in a clock-wise direction. Yak-butter makes the wheels turn quietly and easily.
Hundreds of prayer-wheels Hundreds of prayer-wheels
Hundreds of prayer-wheels

The path completely circles the Potala Palace, and has been walked in a clock-wise direction since the 7th Century. Pilgrims seem to mingle un-afraid of the intrusions by tourists.
hand wheelhand wheel
hand wheel

Tibetan Buddhist Pilgrims do not wish to have their photos taken. Notice how this believer carries a hand-held prayer wheel, which he spins clock-wise throughout his walk, that can last for many hours.
From any point impressive.From any point impressive.
From any point impressive.

The roof of the Potala Palace seems to touch the sky.
from streetfrom street
from street

There are few places in Lhasa, from where the Potala Palace is not visible.
many questionsmany questions
many questions

Two Buddhist monks engaged us in conversations. They too were resting from the severe climb.
What a climb, and no photos inside.What a climb, and no photos inside.
What a climb, and no photos inside.

But it was worth the effort and the pounds I left behind.
aiming for the skyaiming for the sky
aiming for the sky

Its walls have been host to centuries of history.
prayer flagsprayer flags
prayer flags

As pilgrims climb down from the Potala Palace, many will attach colorful prayer flags, from which the wind will carry their carefully written words.



1st September 2006

Great Pictures
Hello Hans.....We are your sister Resa's in laws. My brother Ron told us about your travelblog. We are enjoying all of your travels . Love the pic's.
1st September 2006

Congratulations!
Wow, way to go Hans! You've made it to the Potala... I've always wanted to visit. Thank you for the pictures, which make me feel a little closer to my dream.
1st September 2006

Hello and Thanks
Hans, Hello and a thank you for sharing your TravelBlog. It's fasinating!
2nd September 2006

You definitely advertise exotic places well!!! :)
2nd September 2006

Hey!!
Hey Schneider! I'm so glad to see you smiling in your pictures and seeing that you're enjoying your life in China to the fullest. We miss you greatly at Gables. Connor, Manny, and I talk about you all the time. We miss you tons. I love all of the photos. They're so beautiful and they make me want to go explore China myself. Well take care of yourself!
4th September 2006

hallo Hans, auch in althütte verfolgen wir mit spannung und sehr viel interesse deine reisen und freuen uns an den tollen bildern. und...wir beneiden dich ein bißchen und bewundern dich sehr :-) alles liebe von karin
5th September 2006

You should do this for the discover channel :P Everyone who sees your blog wants to go to china! (especially me!)
5th September 2006

fantastic
You two finally travelled to Tibet:) I am sure your pics will draw more people to China:)
30th April 2007

On my way to Tibet need your help
Hello Han; I plan to visit China/Tibet in July, and want to know how you got your Tibet permit? Thank you for your time in this matter. Archie

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 15; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb