Day Trip to Ganden Monastery


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
August 5th 2009
Published: August 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We decided to ride our bikes west to Ganden monastery for a day trip today. The total round trip distance i think was around 120 kilometers...with one very difficult climb up to the monastery. Ganden Monastery is the central monastery of the Gelug Sect of Tibetan Buddhism. It was built in 1409 under the supervision of Zongkapa. A large number of pilgrims are attracted by many naturally formed manifestations of the buddha, the lush shrubbery and the beautiful sceneries surrounding Ganden Monastery.

By law, we were required to have a guide come with us to the monastery. The agency we were signed up with hired a guide who said he would ride with us... the guide showed up four hours after we arrived (his services weren't needed to enter the monastery or to really do anything...huge gimmick) and his bike broke. There are rumors that tibet will be open to independent travelers again in about two years.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



12th August 2009

Back Home
John, Sorry I missed by hours in Minnesota on Sunday. I flew out at 11:30 AM & I think you flew in hours later. Did you enjoy the Blue Door??? Great deep fried green beans!!

Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb