Tibet still....


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
November 21st 2008
Published: November 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 2nd - This morning we had a late start so we ventured to the market, well, we stepped outside our hotel into the middle of it... We brought some sheep wool innersole for our trekking boots, they're really comfy and only 50p each... Our day trip was to the Potala palace, to get in here we had to give in our passports and go when the government, plus we were only allowed to spend an hour in there... But lukily our guide managed to get some more time, but got told not to talk about politics inside....

Again we werent allowed to take photos inside plus there were Chineser military wandering around keeping their eyes on things....crazy....Apart from that it was a very impressive place. We were allowed to see the tombs of previous Dhali Lamas as well as their living quaters.... We weren't allowed to see some place though as they were shut to tourists and worshipers. Learning a lot abhout Budhism - far more complicated than we first thought, still havent made up our minds about it yet... We then went for luch on a roof top garden in the city centre. We also splashed out on a beer to celebrate Peter's results....Started feeling the effect of altitude later in the afternoon, after climbing all thge stairs at the Potala - an afternoon nap was required.... For dinner we had a amall portion of chips covered in salt and chilli all for 10p a pack....

Monday 3rd.... Wandered the market today - was a lovely day, crystal clear and boiling... We wnet momo making for lunch (Tibetan dumplings), this was fun and they tasted soooo good. Rox had veg and Peter had yak... We visited the local Tibetan hospital and had a lecture from a Tibetan doctor, this was really interesting - mixing religion, astronomy and herbal remedies... Basically boils down to all form od primitive herbal medicine just suited to Budhism and local tradition... We also manged to sunbath today on the roof of our hotel.... The view is pretty damn impressive... Its funny that we both burnt, but the views are of snow covered mountains... Went for beers at a pound a pop and street food - kebabs, momos, potatos, meat and veg - all for 70p.... All deep fried so good after a beer....

Tuesday 4th.... No hot water today, so the wash involved a sink, kettle, wet wipes, cup and a soaking floor... At diiner this evening we heard some sort of chanting outside, after looking out the window we saw swarms of Chinese military marching through the streets and Barkhor Square in front of Jokhang monestary... The reason - prob a show of power and intimidation...It was pretty intimidating and we were up in a resturant. As we left to go back to the hotel it started to snow - a forbodding sign just before our ascent to Everest....

Wednesday 6th - WOke up nice and early - still no hot water. We had dumplings at a local place for breakfast... We set of on our 5hr drive towards Tsetang... Lunch was at a local place - very nice, freshly made noodles.... We visited Mindlong monestary and Yumbulagang - the first place ever to be built in Tibet (supposedly) where all the first Tibetan kings ruled when they had their empire...This was up a small mountain which was an effort to climb... Once at the top we had the opportunity to climb to the next tweo peaks, which Peter did - very cool ans scary, the views were amazing.... Rox didnt do this obviously and was petrified Peter would fall off - fair enough as we were climbing up the side of a mountain.... Hot pot for dinner, which is basically a massive bowl which is half and half of spicey and non spicey broth, and you picked all the veg and meat you wanted and cooked them yourself... It was shit.... We had fake fish, fatty pork, fatty lamb and veg.... (when we say fatty its like a lither of meat and half a ton of fat)... The best bits were boiled eggs pumpkin and veg... Went for a few bears after and learnt a new chinese dice game in which we had a little gamble.... Rox won, Peter didnt....

Thursday 6th - Woke up early in the hope of hot water - none. Suprising as this was the nicest hotel we have been in.....thanks to persistent Pete and leaving the hot water on for half an hour we got a nice shower.... as soon as you get out though you freeze due to the lack of heating in the room. The town (Tsetang) we are just leaving is preety bizarre...almost exclusively chinese here, may be a garrison town. It's quite obvious to see the chinese influence and presence in Tibet.... the chinese part of town is all modern and you drive a few hundread yards to the tibetan part and it's so primitive. The chinese also get tax breaks and incentives to start businesses in Tibet. We're off to Gyantse today...supposed to be a very Tibetan town, should be good but it's going to be a cold one tonight.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb