Llasa - Day 1


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
May 30th 2007
Published: February 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We spent 3 days in Lhasa. Thank God for dating digital pictures. It is helping me keep track of what we did when. One thing to let you know about the next few blogs. I did take pictures of monks praying but tried to be very respectful. I will be very selective about the pictures that I am putting on the internet out of respect for their privacy.

We stayed at home that was set up as a hostel. The couple were really nice. We got settled in pretty quickly. This time, I chose the bottom bunk. It was truly a "lonely planet" kind of travel. All six of us were in one room with one bathroom to share. We were fortunate. Another group had just left to go hiking for a few days, so we did not have to share the bathroom with more people.

Everyone was feeling a little out of it due to the altitude. Joe, Chris and I ventured out to scope out the neighborhood. It was a quiet out of the way place. Or so we thought. The neighbors had 3 Tibetan Mastiffs that were housed on the roof of a small building. They
The river behind usThe river behind usThe river behind us

There was a river or tributary behind the neighborhood. This is Chris and his dad, Joe.
barked all night long. It was difficult to sleep because we had to the windows open to get a decent breeze. Otherwise the room got really stuffy. We went to dinner at a nearby Chinese restaurant and went back to rest so we could be ready to explore the next day.

First thing after breakfast, Vicky and I went to the Potala Palace to get the tickets. It was one of the problems we had in Beijing with the travel agent. It was not too bad. We stood in line for about 30 minutes. Now that we had those tickets (for the next day) we could set about exploring a bit. It was a laid back day.

We went back got the guys, and found the bus to go to Sera Monastery. Every afternoon, the monks get together and debate. It is a beautiful place. It was founded in 1419. One of the interesting things to see while we were wandering around was how they cook and heat water. They use a solar powered something. It had to be one of the coolest contraptions I have ever seen. There was such a sense of peace. Since the monks
School showSchool showSchool show

The kids at the nearby school were having a show. They were so cute.
were off debating, we went into their worship area to wander around. It was so easy to sense the history of the place. Along with the peace and serenity, you could feel the years of prayer and meditation that had taken place there.

Then we walked up to the garden where the monks debate. It we very interesting. I wish I understood the language to understand what they were debating. One monk would sit on the ground while another stood up and made strange gestures while they talked. I will do my best to describe it but there is no way to do it justice. The monk standing would lift one leg and raise both arms. Then he would bring the leg down, slap his hands together, and push one hand towards the face of the sitting monk. Now, imagine several hundred monks doing this all at the same time. Very impressive.

Some of our group were starting to feel a bit tired again, so we headed for the hostel. We were at about 3200m in altitude. I had read it was good to take it easy the first day and let your body get used to it.
Our noisy neighborsOur noisy neighborsOur noisy neighbors

I looked up what type of dog these were. They are called Tibetan Mastiffs. Trust me, there were three of them and they were very loud all night long.





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

"Deluxe" accomodations"Deluxe" accomodations
"Deluxe" accomodations

It looks a bit messy, but really the beds were comfy. If only it was quiet.
Prayer WheelsPrayer Wheels
Prayer Wheels

Each wheel has a prayer. Turning the wheels is a form of mediation
Solar stoveSolar stove
Solar stove

This is cool. The metal plate heats up enough to boil water. I even saw some with pressure cookers on top. No gas or electricity necessary. Just a beautiful sunny day!
A lane in the monasteryA lane in the monastery
A lane in the monastery

A lane in the monastery. It was easy to get a sense of the "ancientness" of this place
Hangin' OutHangin' Out
Hangin' Out

This kid loved having his picture taken. I can't be sure, but I got the impression that he and his family lived in the monaster
Gateway to the GardenGateway to the Garden
Gateway to the Garden

The debates take place in a garden at the monastery. It was beautiful.
Debaing Monks at Sera MonasteryDebaing Monks at Sera Monastery
Debaing Monks at Sera Monastery

There were a lot of monks. All of them debating Buddha's teachings.
Debating MonksDebating Monks
Debating Monks

One monk would be standing and make a point. The person sitting would respond. I could not tell who was the master and who was the student


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb