Last days in Lhasa


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
October 20th 2005
Published: October 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well, its hard to believe but today is our last day in Lhasa. We leave tomorrow morning for Chongqing which is south of Chengdu and the start of the Yangtse river cruise.

The past 2 days we just roamed the streets of Lhasa enjoying all the sites. We also found out for $.70 per kilo we could ship all our cold weather gear to Shanghai, so we included a Tibetan horn and a few other misc items... 33 lbs lighter, our packs are back to where they should be @ 20lbs!

We spent 2 days in Samye staying at the Samye Monastery guesthouse. We rode the pilgrim bus which was fascinating. The evening was very quiet and we enjoyed just walking around the area. The countryside reminded us of Idaho.

Its been nice to see the weather change as the snow keeps dropping on the surrounding hills, the poplars are now a bright yellow and it is quite dark by 8:00pm (China only has one time zone so the daylight hours are a bit odd this far west, no daylight till 7:30 which makes most mornings slow to get going. And a bit dark when we had to catch the 5:30am pilgrim bus for Samye.) But it will be nice to get down to some lower elevation and hopefully some warm weather!! We also look forward to trying some of China's wine!

We will write after the River trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Ed & his Tibetan hornEd & his Tibetan horn
Ed & his Tibetan horn

Thank goodness it's collapsable
Ed & his prayer wheelEd & his prayer wheel
Ed & his prayer wheel

Yes, I had to pay him for this photo


20th October 2005

hello
Dear Ed and Michele: Your trip sounds so wonderful, I love hearing all about your adventures. Also love the pictures. Look forward to more. Thanks so much for including us in your adventures. Love, Bev and Ken
25th October 2005

Pictures
Glad to hear you are safe and well. Have hot soup ready anytime for your stuffy heads. Pictures are fantastic! Love Mom PS. email will be coming soon. (i hope).

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb