#79 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ( VIDEO: The debating monks of SERA-Monastery in Lhasa, Tibet)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
July 15th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On the roof of the Sera Monastery: Eager to see the new technology.On the roof of the Sera Monastery: Eager to see the new technology.On the roof of the Sera Monastery: Eager to see the new technology.

These two monks were fascinated by my digital Kodak Camera, able to see their own images in real time on the LCD screen.
<<<<< Please click on the VIDEO-icon to the left and begin the debate, part of the Buddhist monk's training, in the court-yard of the SERA-Monastery in Lhasa, Tibet.

The Sera-Monastery in Lhasa, Tibet is not well know to the outside world, but it has remained one of the most unusual experiences of my journeys through China. Arthur had been able to video one of these creative and heated, three hour performances by the Yellow Hat Sect of the Sera Monastery. The TravelBlog, thanks to its creator, Ali now makes it possible to present this VIDEO to you.

Though I have written about this group of monks and the monastery in a previous blog (#53), Arthur's VIDEO of their daily ritual will better represent the realism of a unique experience, one that should not be missed by the visitor to Lhasa, Tibet.

To refresh my memory, let me remind, that the Sera Monastery is located on the northern outskirts of Lhasa. It is growing strong once again, and is cared for by near a thousand monks from the Yellow-Hat-Sect of Tibetan Buddhism.

The monks have returned, and can be seen at prayer in the temples, (no photos possible),
View from atop the Sera Monastery toward Lhasa.View from atop the Sera Monastery toward Lhasa.View from atop the Sera Monastery toward Lhasa.

On the horizon, Lhasa is encapsuled by forboding mountains. For thousands of years they were part of Lhasa's natural defenses.
in their deep red robes and distinctive yellow hats, which sweep upwards like a curved shell over their forehead.

Once they were known as great warriors, perfecting the martial arts, as guardians and educators of the Dalai Lamas.
Three major Tantric Colleges are located within the monastery, famous for their occult teachings.

Sera is considered to be the most intellectually rigorous of the great monasteries of Tibetan Buddhism, and part of a monk's training is debating.

Each afternoon the debating courtyard is a sea of maroon robes (no yellow caps??), as monks pair off and engage in heated discussions relating to esoteric teachings.

The credit of the VIDEO and of this set of photos go to my friend Arthur, who had been my travel companion during my visit to Tibet last summer. I'm so happy to be able to share this VIDEO with you. Just click on the video-icon on the top-left of the page.

I wish everyone an exciting and rewarding summer, and my dear friends in America a proud 4th of July. It is a day to remind ourselves of our blessings, and admonish those, who might compromise our personal liberties.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Sera Monastery in Lhasa, TibetSera Monastery in Lhasa, Tibet
Sera Monastery in Lhasa, Tibet

Buddhist-monasteries in the the West of China reflect unity in similar styles of architecture.
On our way to the 2 p.m. debate.On our way to the 2 p.m. debate.
On our way to the 2 p.m. debate.

A steep incline leads past formitable buildings. Beyond, along the ridge of the hills, "sky-funerals" are still a part of the Tibetan-Buddhist ritual.
Altar for the "Sky-Funeral"Altar for the "Sky-Funeral"
Altar for the "Sky-Funeral"

Arthur's lense finds the location and stone, where Tibetan "Sky-funerals" are still practiced, behind the Sera Monastery.
Living quarters of the "Yellow Hat Sect" monks.Living quarters of the "Yellow Hat Sect" monks.
Living quarters of the "Yellow Hat Sect" monks.

Visitors are not permitted to enter, though it did not keep us from at least asking.
Seeking understanding through questioning.Seeking understanding through questioning.
Seeking understanding through questioning.

It was fascinating to observe monks of all ages debating Buddhist thought. (Soon to become the latest reality TV-show: "Stump the Monk"!)
My good friend Arthur My good friend Arthur
My good friend Arthur

Few visitors intrude on the daily discussions in the "debating courtyard". Arthur and I declined an invitation to take part in the debate.
"Got you""Got you"
"Got you"

The hand-motions of these, once noted warrior monks, make the direction of the debate clearer? The sitting monk has just dodged a serious blow, so it seems.
Teachers walk among the visitors.Teachers walk among the visitors.
Teachers walk among the visitors.

These stern-faced teachers makes sure the decorum is kept among the visitors, while the students are admonished for their performance.
Debating esoteric teachings in pairs.Debating esoteric teachings in pairs.
Debating esoteric teachings in pairs.

The monks confront each other in pairs, and engage in heated discussions relating to esoteric teachings. The debating court-yard is covered with very uncomfortable stones, and have been the pillows for the "Yellow Hat Sect for centuries".


4th July 2007

wow!
Your so lucky to travel and see this... This is what I have always dreamed to see. You bring me closer to that dream with your pictures and that video. It seems your having the best time. Happy 4th of july... Don't get caught without your baithing suit ^_^.
4th July 2007

Oh wow. I love seeing these monks! they're sooo cool!
5th July 2007

wow
this is one of your coolest entries yet... it is so interesting to see the differences between our cultures. i havent gotten a chance to see the video yet, but i cant wait. i miss you!
5th July 2007

Wow that looks like a very spirited debate. I wish i knew what they were saying; it must be simply fascinating. I wonder why some of the monks sit and others stand? It seems to be like that with every pair...one sitting one standing (and clapping). This was a very interesting entry...made even more interesting by the video. :)

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb