Om Mani Padme Hum


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhasa
April 12th 2007
Published: April 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

When we first arrived in Lhasa, we were a bit dissapointed. Lhasa seemed like any other Chinese city. It seemed that all we had been reading about the influx of Han Chinese (the ethnicity of most people in China) was true and that Tibetan culture was truly disappearing.

However, as we explored the next morning we were happy to find that there still was a Tibetan district in the city. We made our way to Barkhor Square and joined the many Tibetans on their pilgrimage circuit (Lhasa is a holy site for Buddhists and Tibetans travels from all across the region, on foot sometimes, to pay homage at the holy sites). It was amazing to see the level of devoutness - there were people who would prostrate themselves every step of the journey - that existed within the Tibetans. We ended the circuit at Jokhang Temple, the holiest site in the city. It was amazing inside - everything was very ornate and beautiful. As you walked in, you went past a row of prayer wheels (each revolution sends out a prayer) with the words - Om Mani Padme Hum (you heard these words everywhere in Lhasa - Tibetans said them as they walked around - it is said that all the teachings of the Buddha are contained in this mantra, which there isn't a literal translation for in English) The temple had a strong aroma - a combination on insense and yak butter, which was burned as an offering to the gods.

From the temple roof there was a view of the city and surrounding mountains (Lhasa was bilut on a plateau). We tooks lots of pictures and a local Tibetan asked to have their picture taken with us! Like the Chinese, the Tibetans were very interested in the foreigners. However, their culture seemed more open and their stares we usually accompanied with smiles.

Our next adventure involved renting bikes and heading up the hills to the Sera Monastery. We arrived in the afteroon in time to watch the monks debate. This is a daily occurrence and apparently is a major tourist attraction - there were almost as many tourist milling around as monks. However, after the debating the tour buses headed out and we were able to explore without the crowds.

Dinner was Nepalese food (very yummy - similar to Indian food).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb