Day 10 Drive to Shegar


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Friendship Highway
April 20th 2015
Published: April 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Weather is very stable at present with another cloudless deep blue sky on offer before some light cloud rolling in as usual in the afternoons. Today was another slow but interesting 7.5 hr 240 km drive to Shegar inside the Everest Nature Reserve. The route initially passed through small farming villages but quickly turned to barren rocky hills on either side of the road all the while gently climbing first to a peak of 4500 mtrs before dropping down again only to climb an even higher pass of 5200 mtrs. A 1000 mtr climb for the day. While the outlook was still rugged & remote the scene was changing as we rose the 2nd peak. Large patches of icy snow lay in sheltered areas and covered most of the rocky river bed with a tiny but fast running stream running down the middle of the river bed. This seems to be the only moisture around as everywhere else is bone dry. Don't know how the sheep & goats survive as they only seem to graze on bare ground.

At the top of the 2nd pass we got our first view of Everest, what a great sight with its almost perfect pyramid shape at least from afar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb