Day 6@POPCH


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tianjin
February 25th 2010
Published: February 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 at POPCH saw us trying to finish up our un-completed work for the wall-painting, hanging the cranes and also the paper hats for the children.

Anne was very hardworking the previous night and did OT by helping paste the headband for the animals and potato men. The final touches were done when we reach POPCH by glueing the banner into little headbands for the children.

We had fun trying on the hats and there were favourites by the different volunteers 😊 eg Arlene loves the "cat" hat, myself the "snake" hat. There were discussions on how to make the hat "stronger" to withstand rough play by the kids eg Anne suggested cutting off the legs of the "bee" as the legs will block the kids' view if they were left on the headband.

With work almost done on the animals' hats, I went off to do my baby care duty in the afternoon.
Both Diana and myself also finished up the lesson on Magic pens with the teachers during the lunch break.

(my apologies - no pix here..as we r not supposed to take pix at the home). Perhaps Xiao Liu will give us the
Fun with Hats 2Fun with Hats 2Fun with Hats 2

Guess why we were looking so stiff? We were afraid the hats will fall..as the size is fit for kids and not adults :)
pix when we r done...

The day ended again with my ward, JJ being taught how to 3 towel handkerchiefs into a neat pile. Of course, this was not easy for her as she is in a world of her world and not able to register any of the instructions given. The star of the class is a little two year old gal called "man man" and she did it best 😊 She was rewarded with 3 pieces of pear which she happily wolved down.

My day ended with the teachers singing the song "The Eency Weency Spider" lustily and in unison. It was great team spirit and I never ceased to be amazed at the diligence and "can-do" attitude of these teachers after a hard day's work at the home. They meticulously took notes, pronounced and even indulge me by singing the song in pairs, team or singly - as and when I instruct them to.

Tomorrow Arlene is planning to do cooking for the staff - we intend to give them "Tang yuan" or "rice dumplings" or "ao bo ling" as they r known in Singapore - as it is the 15th of the month or "yuan xiao jie"

We ended having dinner at "Dong Fang Zhi Zhu" which was next to our hotel, "Lu Jia". Arlene inspires us with her tales of her adventures in Nepal, Mount KK, Skiing in Finland, roller coaster rides in Texas...and both Amanda and myself voted her as the most adventurous in the group 😊

Though the temperature outside was a freezing -4 degree celcius, inside the restaurant there was warmth and great camadarerie.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb