One Perfect Day


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » The Great Wall
June 9th 2010
Published: June 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

He who has not climbed the Great Wall is not a true man. (Mao Zedong)



This was just one perfect day!




Up early & out to the section of the Great Wall of China at Mutinayou, about 90 minutes from Beijing - it is hot and there are bits of blue sky appearing. We chairlift part of the way up which is quick and as we get off we see few other people and an amazing scene before us - the wall seems to extend forever as it snakes through the hills in both directions and is just magnificent in its grandeur and size. We can hardly believe that here we are walking on the Great Wall of China! We walk to the highest restored tower - Ged goes a little further and higher and takes a look at the wall in its unrestored state. The kids are just loving it and do a fantastic job with the steps and heat as the last few towers are quite steep although Ged gives each a bit of a help with a short shoulder ride.

When we get to the end we, of course, have to walk back and further as we have decided to take the toboggan down to the bottom. There are by now a lot more people on he wall but it is still quite peaceful as we continue to marvel at the wall - oh and there is not a rabbit in sight!

The toboggan ride down is a real thrill for the kids - Ged and Alice in one and Sue and Jesse the speed demon in front as we scoot down the slide with the kids in charge of the controls! Succumb to the hawkers and buy the kids each a 'I climbed the Great Wall Tshirt' before heading back to the hotel for a swim.

And to finish the day - Peking duck and ice cold beer in a courtyard restaurant on Ghost Street - PERFECT


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Fresh airFresh air
Fresh air

The openings in the wall provide 'air con'
Steep stepsSteep steps
Steep steps

Look at the blue sky


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb