Chengdu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
October 9th 2006
Published: November 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our CabinOur CabinOur Cabin

Train to Chengdu
After another overnight train journey we arrived in Chengdu at 5am, and got a taxi to our hostel. We stayed in a 15 bed dormitory which was effectively in the attic of the hostel, but at 1.50euro a night we weren't complaining. After a few hours sleep we were woken by Justin who was ready to do some sightseeing. We walked into the city centre visited Renmin (People) Park and Wangiang Lou Park. We then stopped in an Irish bar for a few drinks and met a crazy Dutch guy, who told us some great stories about PSV and about a crazy week he spent in Dublin.

We grabbed a bus back and stopped for some food in a Western restaurant which Justin had found the previous day. They didnt have any desserts there so we decided to stop somewhere else for ice cream and much to our disgust discovered that they serve tomatoes in their ice cream!

The next morning we were up early to go on a tour to the Chengdu Panda Reserve. It was fantastic to see so many giant pandas up close and also got to see Red pandas which neither of us had ever heard of! That afternoon we wandered around the Tibetan Quarter and had possibly our worst meal in China. We accidentally ordered Tofu and some very strange things on sticks. We went for a few beers that night as it was Justin's last night.

The next day we booked our train to Chongqing and said our goodbyes to Justin who is heading further west to visit the Tiger Leaping Gorge. That evening we ate in a local Chinese restaurant and had dumplings with Chilli (a local favourite). While having a beers after dinner we met a Belgian guy whos travel stories put ours to shame.

Next stop Chongqing.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Monument to The MartyrsMonument to The Martyrs
Monument to The Martyrs

An Obelisk commemorating the 1911 rail disputes - Now for yeah
Mmm LunchMmm Lunch
Mmm Lunch

Not The Best Meal We've Had In China
Lots of Chinese People on BicyclesLots of Chinese People on Bicycles
Lots of Chinese People on Bicycles

Crossing the road can be dangerous!
Wangjiang Lou ParkWangjiang Lou Park
Wangjiang Lou Park

Dedicated to the famous poetess Xue Tao, who apparently was quite fond of Bamboo!
A WellA Well
A Well

Apparently Xue Tao used this well to make a special red paper or something like that.


Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb