Chengdu (19-23 Jun 15)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
June 21st 2015
Published: June 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Moving on from Xi-an, it was a 16h train ride southwest to Sichuan province, which I'd come tantalisingly close to the last time I visited China, when I spent some time in the neighbouring province of Yunnan. This time, I made it to the provincial capital of Chengdu, a city known for its spicy hotpot, pandas, and pretty, fair-skinned girls.

As mentioned, the big attraction of the city is the nearby Panda Park, which houses the largest collection of pandas in captivity in the world, and where the cutting edge research and conservation efforts are being undertaken. Sichuan is one of just three provinces in China where pandas can still be found in the wild (the others being Shaanxi and Gansu), and souvenir shops all around town sell panda-related trinkets to obliging domestic tourists. Chengdu will also be the launch-off point for me as I subsequently head northwestwards for the famed Jiuzhaigou national park.

Contrasting Chengdu with its two adjacent provincial capitals Kunming and Xi-an, which I've both seen, it's somewhat appropriate that it evokes vibes to me that are somewhere in the middle of the two. Still not quite as gleamingly modern as Xi-an, and yet not quite
Jinli StreetJinli StreetJinli Street

One of those "new-old" zones, reminiscent of Lijiang to me, and a veritable tourist trap. Still, pretty much worth dropping by when in town...
as ethnically diverse or edgy as Kunming. It figures, I suppose, since it sits geographically somewhere in the middle of the two!

Stayed at Jiuxin Shangwu Bingguan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Xi'an-Chengdu TrainXi'an-Chengdu Train
Xi'an-Chengdu Train

Hard sleeper berths, more comfortable than I'd feared! The 16h ride was certainly much better than the one from Mandalay-Katha in Myanmar that I took three years ago, and still have occasional nightmares about...
Xi'an-ChengduXi'an-Chengdu
Xi'an-Chengdu

Scenery along the train ride.
Tianfu SquareTianfu Square
Tianfu Square

Gotta have a statue of the The Man at every large public square here...
Panda ParkPanda Park
Panda Park

For most visitors to Chengdu, probably one of its highlights.
Panda ParkPanda Park
Panda Park

Reduced to taking photos of the peacocks, cos the pandas refused to be out in the summer heat in the outdoor enclosures. They're all sleeping in AC inside...
Panda ParkPanda Park
Panda Park

Their red cousins are game for the heat though.
Panda ParkPanda Park
Panda Park

Snoozing indoors in the AC!
Panda ParkPanda Park
Panda Park

A familiar (re)pose.
Swan Lake @ Panda ParkSwan Lake @ Panda Park
Swan Lake @ Panda Park

Black swans everywhere here...
Chengdu ZooChengdu Zoo
Chengdu Zoo

Bears will beg and perform for treats, tossed over by the public notwithstanding the many signs urging people not to do so.


Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb