D-Day in Chengdu成都


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
July 20th 2014
Published: November 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Prep Day




Arrived in Chengdu today, all dirty and tired, even after a (supposedly long, 28 hour rest) on the K817 normal train which brought us from 北京西(Beijing West Station) to 成都(Chengdu Station). Our bicycles travelled with us in the luggage carriage, so that we could retrieve it 2 hours upon arrival. We got ourselves the 硬座(the 'hard' seats) which were actually quite comfy until nightfall, when you realize that you can't adjust the seats and the fact that 120 people are seating in the same carriage means that you are going to sleep on a almost upright seat, particularly uncomfortable if you aren't fortunately given a window seat to rest your head on. People doze off and possibly lay their heads on you. There isnt much maneuvering space in the train, considering that it will be packed with standing passengers, so count yourself lucky if you have a seat, however 'hard' it is! People try to spread themselves out and occupy however little space they have, seating along the aisles or sleeping below your seats, they jostle and squeeze but nothing awful happens and things usually work their way out ; Strangers laugh and talk to one another, people help each other with their oversized-hemp-sack-fertilizer-luggage, start playing cards and sharing their food. It is always a nice experience just talking to them, or involving yourself in their activities. That's probably the only way you can make yourself more or less at home, and make the 28 hours much more bearable.



*Hack 1 - How to get your bicycle onto the train with you so that you can start cycling (almost) right away upon arrival*



Cycled with all our gear to the train station the night before to get it checked in at the 货运服务中心 right beside the passenger station, paid around 160+ yuan per bicycle and individual equipment (its calculated per piece and not by weight). They will handle the rest of it. Oh yes, you've got to go to the counter (usually staffed with less-than-helpfulchinese-only speaking railway staff) to ensure that your bicycle goes on to your train, by presenting your ticket. Sometimes, you've got to negotiate with them to get your stuff on your train, and it means jostling for space amongst the countless other goods that passes through the station. If not, it most probably means your bicycle will arrive on the next available train. Yes you've got to have your ticket with you, as well as your passportfor identification. I've heard of people who simply carried their bicycles up the train; Chances are you will be stopped somewhere along the way from the security counter to the platform, so unless you want to risk it, it's not really a good idea. Upon arrival, simply proceed to the baggage and goods section in the station (okay, usually not in the station but somewhere near, in a shady corner of the street just off the station square with the ubiquitous Chinese railway logo) to retrieve your stuff. Simply check with the staff at the counter for information.



We arrived in the early afternoon, so after a quick lunch at one of the many little restaurants in the vicinity, we went to do some last minute shopping- It is most fortunate, that the adjacent 莲花池批发市场(Lotus Pond Wholesale Market) sells almost every apparel you can possibly imagine, although it is a huge labyrinth not to be attempted by those weak in the chinese language. We got a pair of rubber bathroom slippers each at 7.50 yuan, which I wore for my ENTIRE JOURNEY FROM CHENGDU TO LAMOSANGU (NEPAL) without breaking apart, save for the worn out soles - some good quality stuff there. We got an additional pair of tights, soccer tights/pants, sports top , track pants as well, all at a huge bargain. We chose to set off the next morning, so we proceeded to find a suitable accomodation. We decided, after getting our bicycles, to put up at the nearest guesthouse to the train station. It was quite a comfortable stay, albeit in a seedy location and the fact that they couldn't accept foreigners. YES NOT ALL HOTELS/GUESTHOUSES ACCEPT FOREIGNERS. Apparently, only government 3 star-rated guesthouses are 'suitable and lawful for foreigners to reside'. So, its either you tear your pockets for a less-than-necessary 3 star hotel, find a International Youth Hostel (which, oddly enough, occasionally refuse foreigners as well), or just talk your way into getting a room. Obviously we went for the last option. Thankfully the boss, with such awesome chinese hospitality, decided that we posed no harm to the public security of Chengdu and the fact that we were from Singapore oiled the deal, well, a great deal. On hindsight, we could have gone to the 武侯祠 area, where virtually every single chinese cyclist would start their journey from if they chose to start from Chengdu. All the outdoor shops, cycling repair centres, and the international hostels (which welcomes foreigners) are there. Would be a much better idea to start your journey from there instead of trying your luck for a cheaper accommodation.

Of course, if your spoken Chinese is good enough to get you around, you may want to enlist the assistance of this particularly good little shop selling cheap cycling equipment and apparel. The cheap, authentic Chinese solution to surviving a G318 expedition starts here.

CONTACT INFO: 李春英 13194991955 , 18030837928

ADDRESS: 成都市武侯祠大街246号附22号 (Behind the Tibetan Street, the street selling all sorts of trinkets and Tibetan culture things)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb