Panda's, a Fair, Dumplings and a Hotpot in Chengdu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
October 14th 2012
Published: October 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

How cute are panda's?? Well after a quick sqiz on trip adviser, we headed off for the morning to the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding. The taxi was cheap, the entrance fee very reasonable and the panda experience well worth the trouble. The reseach base is set in amongst a magnificent garden and it was so nice just to finally have the opportunity to have a long walk. The panda's, both giant and red, are located in various areas around the park and the size of the area is a bit like Healesville Sanctuary. It is all extremely clean and very well organised. The panda's spend most of their day eating bamboo as their stomachs are not very efficient in digesting their food. Eating seems to be a very social event and the way each panda will just lie across or against another while feeding just shows how relaxed and happy they are in their environment. The one month old baby in the humidity crib was gorgeous. As there are often twins born in captivity due to artificial insemination, the nursery alternate care between time with the mother and time in the nursery so each cub has the optimum chance for survival. After a drink by the swan lake we were off to lunch.

Now anyone who knows me knows how much I love dumplings and how I will go out of my way to buy them. Today I took this dumpling fetish to another level. We found a very busy small restaurant that looked clean and had dumplings but how to order when everything is written in Chinese and all the patrons are local with barely a word of English between them. Well this is where my charade skills came into their element and somehow I was able to order us a delicious meal of dumplings for lunch. Fortunately when my first order was eaten and everyone was still hungry, a lovely lady sitting beside us came to the rescue and ordered more for us. We have been so lucky in that way. The locals in every city have been very generous in helping us. Off for a spot of shopping and then dinner with the agents from EIC.

The EIC Fair went very well today with two students signing up immediately and one of those to Reservoir High. Perhaps it was our professionally put together RHS markting pack, or the clip on koala that clinched the deal? I'm guessing it was Yonghong's skills in marketing Victorian education and then suggesting our school but who knows? Either way it is a small success and a foot in the door. Our dinner was again extremely delicious. The special Sichuan style of hotpot was such a fun way to eat and the variety of foods that can be put into the hotpot is astounding. I will definitely be visiting a hotpot restaurant again. We presented our school information to the agents over dinner and all seemed genuinely interested in what we had to say which is a very good sign. This is a very new agency so it was a great opportunity to get in first and familiarise them with our schools. After dinner, a spot of shoe shopping and back to the hotel to prepare for tomorrow and another three agent visits. Those heavy brochures have almost run out and the hotel staff are organising to have more printed for me. Fingers crossed they are ready by lunchtime tomorrow!!

Chengdu is my favourite city so far. It is extremely organised and modern. It has lovely, wide streets with a great selection of shops, parks, eateries, a river promenade and it's the perfect temperature day and night. Definitey worth a visit!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb