Pandamoneum


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
March 26th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Without a doubt the second most lovely thing I have ever cuddled in my life! With my fuzzy bear left at home we headed off to the Panda Breeding Centre in Sichuan.

Panda's are stupid animals...in many ways they deserve to become extinct. Too lazy to mate, too stupid to realise that their digestive system is made for meat and not bamboo and all they do is sleep. BUT...that first glimpse is enough to send you into overdrive. Although they do look very much like a man dressed up in a Panda suit, they are cute and fuzzy and everything you imagine them to be (and so much more). I really think having a live in Panda is the way forward. No more lonely nights when you have a panda to sleep with. I even think I have met someone who sleeps more than me.....and met someone is definitely the right word.

Arriving early is the key (before 8am) as they are literally awake for only a couple of hours a day and in most cases not even that. We arrived at the breeding centre which is similar to a zoo in that they are all in enclosures, however, not as unatural as we were fearing haven spoken to some other people. We have met people who have also ben to Borneo to see the Orangutans and they expect something similar here. But this is a breeeding centre. They are almost extinct so seeing them in the wild is a virtual imposibility. Ther are less than a thousand panda's in the wild now.

As you arrive the pandas are feeding, lolling around and generally being lazy. They move slowly and awkwardly and seem always willing to stop for a smile. The presence of us watching them does not seem to bother them too much although there are lots of signs are guards reminding you to be quiet...they seem very private animals.

And then there was Xieng Xieng, the mascot of the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the centres youngest panda cub at only 6 months old. WHAT A BABE! She is only 6 months old although weighs an absolute TON! My arms were hurting after holding onto her for a mere 5 mins..although that is a good thing. The lucky children in front of us managed to drop her on her head and made her sqeual. Bless. Like everything ion China, it was a rip off. Normally 800RMB to hold a baba but because of her new found celebrity status (and therefore mine!) they whacked it up and I paid 92 of my best british pounds to have a cuddle. Well worth it too. She was wriggly and chewy, very much like Sam used to be (sorry gem) and generally wanted to play. So having wrestled with her a bit we headed out into the playground where every man and their dog had gathered to see her play. She climbed the trees and then fell out, did forward rolls and head stands and then got stuck up a tree. Sooooooo unbelieveably cute.

By the time we ventured back around to see the older ones we had passed on our way in they were all asleep in varying positions including half way up trees. It has to be seen to be believed. It clearly showed us just how lazy they are as they had been up eating less than an hour before. Cuddling a panda was undoubtedly the best use of 100 quid ever (obviously hair straightners are NOT included in this)


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



10th May 2006

Andy It appears that Lara is going to trade you in for a panda, beware mate

Tot: 0.289s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 26; qc: 133; dbt: 0.2314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb