For all the tea in China!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
March 31st 2009
Published: March 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Tell me the way to go home.....Tell me the way to go home.....Tell me the way to go home.....

i'm tired and i want to go to bed!!!!!
Ni hao (hello) from China!!!!

Well we have a lot to catch up on now that we have left India far behind us and moved on to China, a totally different ball game!!!
First of all we arrived in Hong Kong airport after a good flight with Jet airways, the airport was spotless and we had a smooth journey into the centre via an express tube/train. We headed to our first place of accommodation which was a YMCA building, not like the ones I've seen before!!! this one was an upmarket travel lodge whereby they had put two bunk beds in a hotel type room, so 4 people shared the cost - and the en suite..... At this stage we were not all that used to the currency and happily paid 52 British pounds between us for the privilege!!! We only stayed for one night, finding a double room for 150 hong kong dollars (15 pounds a night) for the rest of our stay, but what a room it was!!!! i think the term is 'micro' room, basically a small double bed with a room built around it (literally!), yes it had an en suite.... well if sitting on a
Hong Kong at nightHong Kong at nightHong Kong at night

Lightshow at the harbour.
toilet sidewards with your legs in the bedroom counts! But we both really liked the lady owner, who was super cute with her pigeon English and made us laugh a lot.
Hong Kong is everything a major city should be, it has lots to see and do, is very clean, good city transport with a underground metro which puts London's to shame! Millions of designer shops (we fitted right in with our merrells and socks!), it is also very expensive to eat and drink, a big shock to our wallet after Indian prices!
On our first day we applied for our China Visas which was really easy and meant we had three days to explore before we could head into Mainland China. We saw a light show of the skyline down by the harbour one night, took a cable car ride through the hills to a giant bronze buddha, visited a temple and took the strangest form of transport through the city which consisted of 40 sets of escalators!
The weather in Hong Kong was another change for us as although it was warm/humid, there was no sun and the nights were cooler.

We got our China visas and
Chopstick gallery.Chopstick gallery.Chopstick gallery.

We have a set of these beauties on its long way home!
took a bus ride into Guangzhou (about 4 hours), stopping twice in between to go through immigration and customs. As we were the only English speaking people on the whole bus we had no idea of what was going on when the bus stopped and just presumed it was a toilet break, so stayed on..... luckily the driver saw us in the nick of time, so we were not illegal immigrants!!!

We were dropped in Guangzhou at nowhere in particular, but still we tried to find our way, walking aimlessly around the streets with our 2001 guidebook in hand (not having a clue where we were to begin with!) This is when it dawned on us we couldn't read any signs or communicate with anyone to ask for help!
It's an odd feeling being surrounded by people, yet feeling alone! After struggling for about 45 mins with our backpacks still on we found a company called 'wall street English' so decided to head in and hope for the best, the lady behind the desk was really helpful and wrote some directions down on a post it note in Chinese which we could hand to a taxi driver...as they don't
Hong Kong by dayHong Kong by dayHong Kong by day

Bit of a change from Great Yarmouth!
speak a word of English either!
We went round the houses abit, but finally we arrived at a youth hostel, pretty late, and managed to get the last two beds in a packed 10 person dorm.

Guangzhou is also a big city with an underground tube system but not an awful lot to do so we moved on quickly to a place called Yangshuo (about 9 hours on a bus), we had been recommended this place by another traveller and we are both really pleased we went, it is very picturesque with all the odd shaped mountain peaks you see in Chinese paintings, It also has a river running through it.
Whilst here we saw Cormorant fishing. Basically we went out on a boat, which followed a fishing boat containing a fisherman and his flock of 8-10 cormorant birds. The birds jump off the boat when told to do so by their owner and duck down catching fish along the way...they then come back to the boat and the fish are taken from their mouths before it gets the chance to swallow! (they have a tightened string around their necks preventing them from swallowing). The cormorants are allowed to
Tandem power!Tandem power!Tandem power!

Matching tops and all!
eat every 7Th fish they catch, apparently they refuse to work otherwise!!!!
Another day we hired a tandem bike and headed off for the hills! It was so much fun, especially coming down the hills at about 50mph - with Ami at the back not being able to see or control, she screamed her head off, due to the lack of brakes!!!
I took an hours art lesson and was taught the art of Chinese traditional painting which was really cool and i seemed to get the hang of quite well.
We also visited a cave, which was nice to look at but not so helpful having a Chinese speaking guide showing us around!!!
The highlight of Yangshou for us was when one night we were approached in the street by two 17yr old girls who wanted to practise their English, this resulted in us going back to their school with them and taking a lesson for a whole class! (me being the teacher and Ami, my classroom assistant!) Afterwards we sat in the school gardens, being plied with beer and having questions fired at us from all angles!!!

Our first train journey in China took us to Chengdu
Cormorant BirdCormorant BirdCormorant Bird

Big fellow isn't he??!!
after 25 hours, this is where we currently are but we are moving on tomorrow. The train itself was really clean and a whole lot nicer than India's trains, they even supplied pillows and duvets! During the journey i did some sketching which created an audience and many photographs. Ami decided to try and speak to them (via guidebook phrases), which ended in a full blown Chinese lesson - which was hilarious!
Chengdu is very big and everything is spread out so lots of walking involved. So far we have been to a couple of art galleries, visited a Panda breeding research centre and seen Dafo (the worlds largest buddha).
The Panda centre was superb! it had around 70 giant panda's of all different ages (including cubs). We were there early morning so got to see feeding time, which was super cute for the cubs who were drinking milk from a bottle whilst laying on their backs! It was so surreal to see them with our own eyes and so sad at the same time to know that they are going to be extinct, we could have watched them all day!
Dafo the buddha was a 2 hour bus journey
Quiet in Class!!!Quiet in Class!!!Quiet in Class!!!

Ami's contribution 'Hangman!'
away in a place called Leshan, and well worth the journey! Its hard to begin to describe just how big he is, and I'm sure the pictures wont do it justice, very cool to experience.
On the way up to Dafo (yet again many steps!) we bought a padlock which i engraved a message onto, then we locked it to a few of thousands/ possibly millions of others. All of these padlocks are engraved with wishes and thoughts and the owner takes the key with them as good luck, to keep their wishes close to their heart.

China's food is adventurous, to say the least, as nothing is off limits!!! All dishes contain a lot of ginger which takes some getting used to, but generally we are enjoying the cuisine. Each area has its own specialities - Chengdu is known for its spice and we are saving crispy duck for Beijing.

The weather at the moment is reminding us of home!!! not good at all, we are wearing most of our clothes so at least our backpacks are light! there has been rain, fog, wind, just damn right cold!! Its very unpredictable, but has not stopped us doing
Silver cavesSilver cavesSilver caves

Not so silver!
anything yet.

So far we are both thoroughly enjoying China, but wish we could speak the language as each time we need to communicate with anyone it consists of a whole lot of pointing and sign language! amusing when trying to buy shaving foam - and ending up with tights!!!

So that's all for now folks! and we will update in a couple of weeks....just to finish off, we would like to add that we have noticed a severe decrease in the amount of comments we are getting! Is it because you are not reading it anymore...??? lost interest???? or simply a case of out of sight out of mind???... either way we request you all buck your ideas up and get typing! after all this blog is for your benefit as we know what we have done!! NO COMMENTS.....NO BLOG!
Leave it with you x





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Meat anyone?????Meat anyone?????
Meat anyone?????

looks tasty, yeah??
Giant Panda Giant Panda
Giant Panda

Just chiling....fact of the blog = they have a false thumb to help them eat the bamboo!
Padlock my dreamsPadlock my dreams
Padlock my dreams

now we just have to try not to lose the key!
Dafo the giant buddhaDafo the giant buddha
Dafo the giant buddha

You can just about see the 'ant' people in the backround!!!


31st March 2009

Ouch!!!
what a burn hon but I defo deserved it x x please don't stop the blog it brightens up the crappy britsh days :) I'm just sooooooooo jealous of your travels that they put yarco life to shame!!! I can just imagine trying to communicate in china I have enough trouble ordering a take away ha ha, make sure you pick up some cooking tips or maybe just sneak a little chef into your back pack and bring them home! the time is just flying by it doesn't seem a week since you have been gone. I can't wait to finish school and get a job so I can book some holiday and come and track you down!!!! I look forward to hearing what you get up to on your birthday old bird you will have to try and cause enough trouble for all of us (probably best not to get arrested though!!!!) miss you loads and loads, don't talk to too many dodgy men and keep safe xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
31st March 2009

ooohhh rufus and ami get strict!!
With regards to your final paragraph that is!!! So i'm deffo gonna go with out of sight out of mind from my behalf... clearly not! love the panda photo very sweet. and man did that meat look yuk! So are you gonna take up tefl work now that you are being dragged of the streets and comissioned to do it randomly?! I am gettin stressed out at the moment as I am packing and you know ruthy how much I hate choosin what I wanna take/need????? stupid I know....
1st April 2009

No Comments, No Blog :-(
So you have resorted to idle threats eh? I am loving your blog work mate, it is most entertaining. You could write for a paper! Is Amy still sporting the bell anklet? That tickled me, lol. It sounds like you are both having the most amazing time and i am really happy for you, slightly jealous but really hope to join you at some point on your travel so i can get my face in the holiday snaps! All is good in Poole, i have just got a wii so i am spending alot of time hanging out with my new friend the 'fit board' i am on a bit of a get fit mission actually. Heading up to gy for Easter Bank, chips from the market wont be the same without you. I will be in touch soon, take care in China Town, Love love Jet xx
1st April 2009

a telling of!! wot not me!!
lol...made ma laugh your parting words ruth..ive been good and commented every time so im exempt from the word slaying!..lol..nah nah nah nah ner all you other ppl!..lol..lovely to hear from you today ames, sooo glad china is great, such lovely ppl to help you out as much as they are doing, takes a whole new meaning on visiting the chinese now, if theyre looking after my travellers then thats good enough for me! pandas!..doh!..sooo cute would of loved to see them sooo sweet! how funny you two doing the teacher thing, or should i rephrase that, ruth teaching, ami assisting, how random was that! wot!!..weather rubbish!..thats poo!..thought it would of been reeeaally hot there with lots of sunshine, weve had a sunny day today (get us) and the clocks are now forward an hour so we have lighter later nites now which is really nice. thinking of you both..are sweet n sour chicken balls the same??..lol..love to you take care of yourselves and keep smiling round the world..lots of love mum xxxxxxxxxx
1st April 2009

all this talk about china i think ill go get a chinese..lol..xxxx
1st April 2009

i'm sorry.
Ruth and Ami - Sorry for lack of comments!! But trust me when i say I love the blog and check EVERY SINGLE DAY (sometimes twice) for a new entry!!!!!!!! Dave is currently away and I have text him immediately telling him of your latest update so he can log on! We have other friends travelling at present and your blog is far superior. China sounds great. Preferable to India in many ways i imagine? Love the pandas, padlocks and cave, not so much to heap of meat tho..... Have you found a new career in teaching??!? Be careful and keep blogging!!! Love Caroline and Dave x x x x
3rd April 2009

Smiles
Hey Ami (and Ruth - My rabbit's called Ruth :D) Omg, sounds so amazing! I'm so impressed with you but totally jellous at the same time :P I'm gonna keep up with your blog when I can, just read this entry, dunno if I'll read the others yet though.. Been drinking red wine since 9 just because I can again :D Anyways you make sure you're staying safe, sounds like you're doing a sterling job though. Love, hugs and peace. Xx
4th April 2009

birthday girl
just read your blog it is great wishing you a very happy birthday hope you have great day look after yourself and have a great time luv aunty sue
4th April 2009

hello
ruthie and ami, im gonna be honest, i've slacked a bit on the keeping up with the blog front. apologies. rich and the girls have been reading but are slack on the blog comments. anyway we all miss you, Bethan and Erin really love the photos especially the panda. im super fat and heavy. 6 and a half weeks to go. happy birthday for tomorrow ruth. rich has e mailed you. love to both. jo
10th April 2009

NNNNnnnnnnnnoooooooo!!!
Please keep writing, the only reason i never leave comments is because i know what its like, having to reply to everyone when you have only paid for an hour on the internet!!! Ok, full blown comments every time now!! I love reading what you two are getting upto, reading them and seeing all your crazy pictures actually make me feel like crying. I know Ami has wanted to do this for so long im chuffed youre actually doing it, sounds like its turned into more then you could imagine it would be. Cant believe you ended up teaching a class??!!! Thats so crazy!! And Ruth, i cant believe youve gone from veggie to eatin that, it wrong!! Missing you millions, x x x x x x x x x
14th May 2009

This has passed a boring 20 minutes in the office!!
Hello again! Thought that whilst I was on the site and doing bugger all at work I would read on and I am glad I did! China sounds like such an adventure. It must be so strange not being about to communicate with people. I have a picture in my head of you both trying to mime out shaving foam and I must admit that I can see how they might have got tights (from the foam up the leg motion!?!). So glad Kate has finally remembered to pass on your travel blog site as it is a welcomed rest from work! Good to see you are still enjoying it. Look forward to th next instalment - where you off to next? I'll keep a look out for the next one. Han x

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb