Chengdu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
December 2nd 2005
Published: December 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

panda research centrepanda research centrepanda research centre

Aww, how cute. 'Giz a hug mam!'
Bec.

After a few beers we arrived in Chengdu which is the capital of Sichuan. Being a hot spicy food fan and having read about the hotpots and snack food thought this city would be a good stop off on our way down to The Three Gorges.

As it turned out the food was the only hot thing about the city mainly because the places we visited and the places we stayed were all baltic, so David and I spent the next 4 days freezing our nuts off.

There were however quiet a few highlights to Chengdu that I will share with you now. On the first evening we thought we would watch a bit of Sichuan Opera, famed for its hand puppetry and a few gymnasts etc... so we picked up some cheep tickets and went of in search of a warm opera house.... a short while later we were sat out in the open cold air watching a very cold set of actors pour cups of tea standing on their heads and such like, its was quiet entertaining....

Another highlight was visiting the pandas as the Chengu breading and research centre. We toddled off at
red panda'sred panda'sred panda's

Not only giant pandas, but little red ones too.
7 am ready for feeding time. And were met by about 12 adult pandas, chilling out in their massive park. They were really funny, sitting on their big bums, propped up legs a kimbo munching away on bamboo. Doing the occasional steamy poo, which they did not even move for.....

Anyway learnt a few things about pandas, mainly the reason why they are nearly extinct and have to bred in captivity is that a) they cannot be arsed to find a mate and b) if they do find one they cannot be arsed to have sex. They are soooo lazy....

There was also a baby panda and its mum was holding it like a mum holds a baby, it was really cute. And there was also a breed of anoying chinese woman there (we meet this breed quiet often out here) she shouted alot at the pandas and then threw a branch at a panda to gets its attention. I really hoped that she would fall in the enclosure and be eaten by the pandas, shes didnt unfortunatly, but I do hope she too goes extinct, somehow I doubt that as china is densly populated with them.
food marketfood marketfood market

China's equivalent to a deli. Pig's snout anybody???

So that was Chengdu, we also squeezed in a budhist temple and peoples park and ate lots and lots of very very hot food..... and we had an encounter with a chineese boy and his mum, he wanted to practised his english so his mum bought us a cup of tea and we chatted to him for an hour, his english was really good, we tried to tell him interesting things about the UK, however he didnt want to listen he just wanted to practise his chineese.......











Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

food marketfood market
food market

If only we had a kitchen
Sichuan operaSichuan opera
Sichuan opera

very camp.
Chairman MaoChairman Mao
Chairman Mao

giving a cheery wave down 'the peoples road'
Bec making friendsBec making friends
Bec making friends

She's a superstar out here. This guy even had to change into his mates jacket for the photo!


5th December 2005

Hiya! Sorry, only just got around to checking your blog. Sounds like you're having an amazing time. Tis also a very educational blog - I never knew it was cos pandas are so lazy that they're going extinct! That's mad....
12th December 2005

MEMORIES
HAVE HAD 3 VISITS TO CHINA AND YOUR JOURNAL IS WONDERFUL BRINGING BACK MEMORIES OF OUR VISITS. HOPE YOU CARRY ON ENJOYING YOUR TIME THERE.(IM A FRIEND OF YOUR MUM DAVID IN CASE YOU ARE WONDERING)
13th December 2005

Happy Xmas
Glad to hear you are making steady progress on your tour. All the best for Xmas and the New Year from all at JD Williams.

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb