Chengdu and the Panda's


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
October 11th 2007
Published: October 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, we arrived in Chengdu after our flight. Chendgu is not the prettiest of cities, there are still people everywhere and there are more bikes here than anywhere else we've been, which is saying something. Chengdu is also the closest we will be to Tibet in our journey and you can find Lama monks walking around the street dressed in their robes. But we are all here to see the Panda's.

The Panda Research centre is just out of the city and this year they have had 9 baby panda's born. We were able to see 3 of them when they were asleep in a cot together...they looked like the cuddly toys they were selling outside they were so small and their fur was all fluffy. We couldn't go in the room but could stand outside...unfortunately we could not take photos otherwise our camera's could be confiscated!!!! We did see the adult and teenage panda's which were outside eating, falling over and sleeping....so cute.

Whilst here in Chengdu we have also been to see the Dafu giant buddha which has been cut out of the cliff overlooking the river. It was absolutely huge but the only way to get
Mid morning snackMid morning snackMid morning snack

Before returning to the 2nd favorite past time....sleep
down was to climb a steep narrow staircase and as the weather was cold and wet the steps were extremely slippery. On safe ground you could then appreciate the size of this buddha...how it was cut out of the cliff face I will never know!

We found this really nice night market which is only a couple of years old but made to look traditional. We found a bar after our shopping for a few drinks and we became the tourist attraction. About 8 of us were sitting outside and often people would walk past, spot us and get their cameras out to take photo's. In the end when we spotted this happening we would turn around and smile and wave for the camera..they would take their photo and laugh....by the end of the evening we must have had at least 25 people stop including 2 Lama monks.

Next stop Yangtze river cruise....



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Bar in Chengdu...smile for the cameraBar in Chengdu...smile for the camera
Bar in Chengdu...smile for the camera

One of the many photos taken of us....


18th October 2007

Spain calling again
What a lovely experience. I love panda´s they look so cute although I am sure they can be very nasty. Nicewhen they are babies. You all sound as if you arehaving a great time and the locals seem to like you all. Good photograph of you all drinking ofcourse. Continue having a great time.
22nd October 2007

Keep it up!
Keep up with the blogs - its a small ray of sunshine to read them every once in a while to get a glimpse of life outside BT!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb