First days in China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
September 20th 2007
Published: September 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The streets of Ping leThe streets of Ping leThe streets of Ping le

This is a town that Chinese come as tourists, but is not a common foreigner tourist town.
We arrived in Chengdu last Friday night, Sept. 14 after 25 hours of travel. At the Chengdu airport, we were met by my (Andrea) brother, sister-in-law, and 4 nieces (the Carsons). After a great 10 hours of sleep, we were ready to take advantage of a Saturday with everyone off of school and work. It seems that we have brought beautiful weather with us. In this normally overcast, rainy and humid city we have experienced all but one day of balmy, sunny and rather dry weather--basically beautiful days. I'm sure this has added to the charm and endearing feelings we are already developing for this area.

So on Saturday, Sept. 15, we all drove to a very old town about 1 1/2 hours from Chengdu named Ping le (pronounced Ping-luo). The day was full: A very tasty late lunch was our first genuine introduction to Chinese fare. And an unforgettable hour and a half of riding rented bikes through the narrow town streets and out into the countryside led us to the rice fields where we witnessed rice harvest in its various stages. You can't get much better than this!

We have continued to have some really great experiences
Ping lePing lePing le

The river runs through town...charming
in the days that have followed. Sunday saw us celebrate our niece Catie's 11th birthday along with a couple of her girlfriends.

I (Rod) have been continuing my marathon training by running each morning on the streets of Chengdu. Not only does this give me the opportunity to exercise and continue my training, but I also get a chance to explore the city. I've seen quite a bit already in just four days of being here.

Other fun experiences have included eating authentic Chinese food at several Chengdu restaurants, buying fresh vegetables and fruit at a local market, taking a ride in a SanLoom--a bicycle driven public conveyance--and just experiencing life with our family.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

A great dayA great day
A great day

We got two bikes for the 8 of us--a four-seater and a two-seater. This is another view of the rice harvest
The RiverThe River
The River

As we rode back across the bridge at the end of our ride, this was the view of the river we found.
The best kind of bikingThe best kind of biking
The best kind of biking

Riding through the narrow town streets we passed by the local businesses and homes. Then we headed out of the town (got caught in our first traffic jam) and discovered rice harvesting and other farming in process.


21st September 2007

Looks like fun!
The rice harvesting looks interesting...when you get back, you'll have to explain how they do it. Oh, and run, Rod, run!
21st September 2007

Thanks
I am so glad I get to experience a bit your trip with you! I can't believe how tall Annie is. Say hi to Monty and Julie for me :) Will be waiting for your next update.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb