Life in Chengdu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
September 10th 2005
Published: September 10th 2005
Edit Blog Post

28-8 - 2-9 Blog

We spent these days not doing much in particular, just general things in and around Chengdu. Every person in China needs an ID card, and needs to renew it every five years or so. Michelle needed to renew hers at this time, but it took her two attempts. The first time she came to the office, where there was not so much of a queue but a crowd, but found that she needed to take her family register. This is kind of like an ID thingy for the whole family, and one needs to show it show that their parents are really their parents. It kind of makes sense. There was no problems when we came back, and after negotiating the gathering in front of the kiosks there was no problem after taking the mandatory photograph. The lack of queue in this case isn’t the fault of the customers, there wasn’t really sufficient room in front of the kiosks for there to be a queue. It didn’t really matter too much as people seemed to be patient and polite enough.
Michelle’s mother one evening took us out to be treated to a foot massage/clean, which was very relaxing. I don’t think my feet have ever been cleaner.
On the Ist Sept, One of Michelle’s Classmates from Schengen (Next to HongKong) Flew out to visit us for a week. When he first saw Chengdu he said “It looks like a real city.” This was not because he had formerly believed that Chengdu was a fake city. He said that it was not just a place for working and living. It was a place where you could go out and have fun. Eat on the streets, take a walk, that kind of thing. Living. That’s what he meant. I think.
We had decided to visit Jiu Zhai Gou, a secenic area soon, and on the 2nd, Michelle booked a tour for us three on a bus leaving on the third.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb