iPhone 5


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanxi
April 17th 2014
Published: April 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

My cell phone is my favorite possession. I can not leave the house without it, and I'm sure that many of you are the same way. I can't last a day without my phone because I am just so used to having it. I am looking at it 24/7 on all social media networks. I have an iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 is very popular. 34 million iPhone 5's were sold in the first 100 days that it came out. How did they make so many of these? Well 85% of iPhone 5's made, which is a very large number, is made in China's northern province of Shanxi. Foxconn's Taiyuan is the company that makes all of them. Foxconn is a company that has about 500,000 employees working, eating, and sleeping in a wailed community. The company Taiyuan has about 10,000 employees working on the iPhone 5. Here is where the bad comes in. To work at this company you have to fill out an application which consists of 30 yes/no questions asking about your mental health and such. There is also a waiver to be signed which says that you agree to waive rights to a clean, safe, and quiet work environment. That is not good at all. There is a 7 day training program where you do nothing but simply obey. They hardly get advanced technology because they are told that the instructions given are more than enough to build the phones. The production floor is full of smoke and has a strong stench of plastic. They must pick up raw, unfinished back plates and mark four drilling points on them with a pen in under three seconds. They do this for 10 hours straight with no break. The place where they sleep is full of dirt and cockroaches. They get paid very little as well. A man working there got paid $4 for working 2 hours over time. However, they said that this was actually good for being in that province. After finding this out, I felt a little bad. Yes it is bad that they have these bad working conditions, but what can I do honestly? What could anyone do? Even if they say they would want to help, it isn't like they would stop using their iPhone and not go on instagram, facebook, snapchat, etc. Things would be the same, and that is just the harsh truth. Welcome to society.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.178s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb