Day 6 in Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanxi » Datong
June 29th 2009
Published: June 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Beijing for Datong quite early in the morning about 5:30 AM and arrived at the Yungang grottoes at 9:30 AM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yungang_Grottoes. We rent a car with driver across the street from the hotel. It was quite a surprise how we made it since I don't speak a single word of Chinese and the driver does not know English. With a map, a pencil, paper and body language we agreed to go to 2 sites in Shanxi province namely the Yungang grottoes and Hanging temples http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_Temple.
The highway connected Beijing to Datong is very good. In certain section, the driver sped to 150 km/h with his 5 seats Suzuki sedan car. There is not a lot of cars in these highways but lots of trucks. We were heading North pass Badaling Great Walls and went West to cross border between Hebei and Shanxi provinces. We saw lots of mountains/hills in this region like the ones in California/Nevada. As we approached city of Datong, we started to see motorcycles and donkeys carrying coal. The Yungang grottoes are simply magnificient and dated from the 5th century with beautiful Buddhist stone carvings. We admired this site for about 2 hours visiting different caves and we saw lots of Japanese/Korean tourists then we headed South to visit Hanging temples which is also dated around the 5th century. This monastery is hang on the cliff of the mountain by wooden pillars and inside these temples you can see Bouddhism, Confucism and Taoism. On the way back, we passed by certain winding roads where the scenery was quite stunning before taking a tool highway back to Beijing. Allthough we spent 9 hours in a car, the whole family enjoyed this trip very much.
Finally we will not go to Xian since our objective is to visit 1 city besides Beijing while we are here and that was done with Datong. Tomorrow at 5:00 PM we will leave Beijing for Bangkok then Hanoi the next day on Jul/2. It looks like this travelblog website has some problems with some large photos so in case you don't see them here you can visit them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/longthai/

Advertisement



30th June 2009

So, you have crossed 2 provinces, namely Hồ Bắc (Hobei) and Sơn Tây (Shanxi) . Grottos are carved in limestone formations, so this area was a shallow sea about one million years ago and sea retreats, retreats and now submerged mountains become emerged . Limestone are from sediments of coral and coral receefs (recifs coralliens) abound in the sea. We will leave here in 3 days for San Jose !
30th June 2009

The Hanging Temple (simplified Chinese: 悬空寺; traditional Chinese: 懸空寺; pinyin: Xuánkong Sì) In Vietnamese Xuankong Si doc là Huyền Không tự
1st July 2009

Wow! Impressive! What a travel! Hope everyone is doing good! Miss you all over here! Keep giving us some infos on your travel! Love you!
1st July 2009

Hi Long & Family
Long, I love the fact that you set this up. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures (I went to flickr to see the bigger versions too). Your narrative is very interesting as well. People like to read what others are experiencing, so encourage your kids to write as well, and they can share this site with their friends. It's so cool that with the technology we can now keep up with each other across the world!! We will be watching this site for all the latest. (p.s. working from home, on Canada day ... I wonder if you remembered to celebrate ... ;-)) Cheers! #b

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb