Shanghai, China - redefining modern!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
January 7th 2016
Published: January 8th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Oriental Pearl Tower, Pudong.Oriental Pearl Tower, Pudong.Oriental Pearl Tower, Pudong.

Its double decker elevators hold fifty people.
No, I am not in China now but by blogging our visit of some time ago, I am responding to interest expressed by some others. Here we go then.

It seemed most logical to visit this evolving and rapidly modernizing ancient civilization since Jeanette and I were already visiting Australia and New Zealand and it made great sense to include it on our way back to Canada.

Naturally, as one intensely interested in history, geography and international affairs, the lure of China was ever present but we knew that our first visit would simply touch areas usually accessible to Western visitors generally and that two weeks there would not allow for deeper exploration. We were most happy to embark on the visit notwithstanding, as it would provide a window into this intriguing post Mao society, now burgeoning into the rival of the US as the world's most dominant economy. In a way of course, we had an idea of what to expect generally based on conversations with friends who had previously visited and our own knowledge.

What we experienced both substantiated some of what we expected but also shattered many preconceptions that we held, for there is nothing more enlightening than experiencing a different culture for oneself. And that we did, although I can tell you, we just scratched the surface.

First impressions are lasting and as our Singapore Airlines flight slowly descended from the midnight sky into Shanghai airport, a muted anxiety swelled up in me. I was not to be disappointed for as we entered the terminal we were literally blown away by its staggering size, sparkling cleanliness and glistening modernity. Its wide walkways were lined by the most well-known of international brand name stores as people scurried from point to point. It was alive with activity!

As arranged, we quickly exited the terminal and located the waiting limo that would take us across the city to our first hotel, the historic Astor House. The vehicle appeared to have just come off the assembly line as we settled into its luxurious leather and sped away. As we drove along the most modern and well-lit of super highways, all we could discern on either side were towering skyscrapers in their full illuminated splendour, as our driver proudly pointed out the Expo site on our right side. Soon we took a ramp and shortly afterwards drew up in front of our hotel. It was built in 1846 and was the first western hotel built in China, the first building to use electricity and enjoyed the reputation of the "finest hotel in China", hosting such luminaries as US President Ulysses S. Grant, Albert Einstein, Charlie Chaplain and Zhou Enlai. Built by a British man it retains its Classical and Victorian architectural style. We breakfasted in the Peacock Hall, which had long enjoyed the reputation of the "finest ballroom in the Far East", with its ten-meter-high ceiling. I have to thank Jeanette for researching and deciding that we should stay in such a historical place especially since all the other hotels would border on modern luxury. In fact, before leaving Canada we were watching an episode of Amazing Race and suddenly, a completely lost couple rushed into the lobby of the very Astor House asking for directions. How exciting that was then.

As you will see from the photographs, our room was in keeping with the style of the era and was very large and comfortable.

What can I say about Shanghai? It is an enormous mix of the ancient China that is fast disappearing and its now accelerated modern growth. It is simply astounding. Not that long ago that country was a sea of bicycles while today the newest models of all vehicle brands hurry along their crowded streets. Competing with buses, motorcycles, people and all sorts of transportation modes, the intersections often get clogged in an uncontrolled melee of humanity and machine. Horn blowing is constant but nobody shows any rage as it all works smoothly. I wondered why they needed traffic lights as they did not seem to matter. Fascinating!

As we walked the streets of Shanghai, the language barrier was evident. Few if any spoke English but it was a most amazing experience to observe the courtesy and friendliness of the average person, several of whom, not knowing us whatsoever, wanted to have pictures taken with us.

It is significant to contrast the not too distant days of Mao and the Cultural Revolution and the anti-western sentiments and political angst that pervaded the dialogue in those days of a closed China and the image of pitch fork bearing Chinese peasants defending against an invading American army.Today it is hard to even envision such an atmosphere as I saw everyday people, hordes of them, including uncountable numbers of Chinese tourists from other parts of their country, with cameras flashing and videos recording everything in sight, enjoying the China of today.

My pictures will share some of what we experienced in Shanghai - Yuyuan Gardens, Water City (the Venice of Shanghai), Kezhi Gardens (that once housed the most important dignitary of that area) and of course the food which was absolutely nothing like we experience in the west. By the way, my dear wife quickly learned to drink beer in China as that beverage seemed to automatically arrive at the dinner table in preference to wine.

It would be remiss of me not to mention the phenominal acrobat show that we attended one evening, equalling and perhaps surpassing the skill and artistry of the famous Cirque de Soliel.

And Shanghai was just the begining of what turned out to be an experince worth re-visiting in the future. It was from here that we joined our tour of China which turned out to me virtually a private one since there were only two other persons - two delightful Canadian ladies from Ontario.


Additional photos below
Photos: 78, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Our large bedroom in Astor HouseOur large bedroom in Astor House
Our large bedroom in Astor House

The ceiling appeared to be at least 12 feet high.
Looking down at the photographic gallery.Looking down at the photographic gallery.
Looking down at the photographic gallery.

That area was like a small museum and that floor housed the dignitaries that visited then.
The guide and the guest are both completely lost.The guide and the guest are both completely lost.
The guide and the guest are both completely lost.

The language barrier was difficult so we had to resolve the issue ourselves.


8th January 2016

China's impressions
Thanks Roger, always interesting
11th January 2016
Magnificent dining room in the ancient Astor House Hotel

Astor House Hotel
Looks great
17th January 2016
Magnificent dining room in the ancient Astor House Hotel

Historic.
My wife, in particular, insisted that she wanted to stay in a historical hotel and her choice was excellent because we knew that all the other hotels we would stay at would be very modern. And they were.

Tot: 0.63s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb