Shanghai - dizzying heights


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
September 3rd 2012
Published: September 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was a visit to the financial district in Pudong. We started boldly and climbed the highest skyscraper, the centre financial centre. Looking at the photo from the opposite shore, our viewing platform was above the hole on the 100th floor. My ears popped when we went up in the lift. I don't suffer from vertigo, but this was so high that I could feel a dizzying effect when I looked down at the toy cars and then moved my eyes up to the top of the Jimao tower. The viewing platform is not open air so photos through glass are not the best. After this one we were not daunted to try another tower. This time it was the hotel dining experience. We had lunch in the Grand Hyatt. This time we were on floor 53 and this was a good view without dizziness. I had the buffet which included crab and such luxuries as French cheese. After a little taste of France we travelled to an area in the French concession called Tianzifang. It had narrow pedestrianised lanes with western style cafes and lots of shops aimed at tourists. There was a shop selling photographs of Shanghai, but it turned out there were branches everywhere. We enjoyed a sit down and drink in a French style cafe/bar. Then we moved on to the north part of town for the acrobatics show. This included some of the traditional acts, such as a man balancing, throwing and turning on his head a huge blue and white pot. One or two of the more ambitious moves didn't quite come off as intended, one on the trampoline - showed that it was real and quite hard. I found it almost impossible to watch the last scene which was very modern: a circular cage with motor bikes driving round inside. It was fine when it was just one, but seven at once in such a tiny space! No photos of the acrobatics unfortunately, not allowed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb