Shanghai Highlights


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
February 16th 2011
Published: February 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We only got home yesterday, but already Shanghai seems like a distant memory.

Although I've been to Shanghai four or five times now, this is the first time we did proper tourist things, including:

Visiting the Oriental Pearl Tower, and eating in the revolving restaurant. The food was amazing, Chinese and Western and such a great selection. The centre of the room didn't revolve, and that's where the buffets were, and the very outside didn't move, so it was really just the bit with the tables. Made for an interesting experience, because by the time you'd got your food you table had moved and you had to try to find it again. I actually nearly sat down next to this other couple by accident, and a wee girl was playing with her doll on the non moving window sill and when she looked up, it was at Rachael, and not her mum like she was expecting!

Market Shopping. We went to a tourist friendly market so the prices would have been a bit higher, but we still got some good deals. I got to use my Chinese lots and did negotiate a fair bit, although not nearly as much as Shum, who is a bit of a pro. I bought some t shirts, a belt, a laptop case for Tarik and some in ear headphones.

Visiting the Xintiandi Area. We ate in the French Concession which is in this area. It's very popular with expats and wealthy Chinese. Very relaxed place, very cool although pricey. We also visited the house where the first National Congress of the Chinese Communist Party was held, which was really interesting, although unfortunately you weren't allowed to take photos in many areas. Like the memorial in Nanjing, entry was free.

Took an open top tour bus. I'd been online and could only find details for the Big Bus Company and at 300 kwai each we thought we were in for an expensive day. I'd seen mentions of a cheaper bright red one in a few blogs, but no details so we were very lucky to spot one as we headed to the Big Bus Stop. It's called sssChina I think, and was only 30kwai. We did both routes and hopped off a couple of times. The audio was pretty interesting and there buses were frequent.

However, I think the best thing about Shanghai was my uncle's apartment, which he kindly let us stay in. His housekeeper took care of us, the shower is amazing and so, so much better then ours here which just feels like someone is weeing on you, and, the best bit, is that our beds each had electric blankets. If it wasn't going to be Spring in just a couple of week I'd definitely be investing in one of them!


Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0827s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb