Nanhui


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
December 4th 2010
Published: February 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tagged along WL to visit her hometown, 1.5hours away from Shanghai city.

Took a bus from Long Yang station and travelled to somewhere beyond Pudong airport, I was told. Alighted in the middle of nowhere, absolutely nowhere. Saw some factories around, a few private cars for rental and a bridge to I dunno where. WL's mum came picked up to to 书院人家 for lunch. It's an enclave of houses with traditional Chinese architecture. Quaint and spacious, food is good but service ought to be improved.

Spent the rest of the afternoon exploring Nanhui. Took a walk around the lake. A little overwhelmed with emotions as I walked behind WL and her mum holding hands, chatting happily and lovingly. Envied the the mother-daughterly love. Missed holding mummy's hand. Afterall, WL only goes home once every other week and they don't get to see each other so often. Guess we always take things for granted in Singapore, never appreciated all these little little things or the people around us.

WL's mum took us on a drive around Nanhui. Stopped by a park to take funny pictures with the sculptures and to see the sea from here. As we continued to drive along the lalang fields, I was totally blown away by the spectacular sunset against the windmills. The most beautiful sunset I've seen in Shanghai so far.

WL's mum insisted on having us for dinner at their place. It was a simple dinner with her family. Enjoyed the homecooked food, prepared by her Dad (I was told, most Shanghai men can cook) and the sweet wine brewed by her mum. Though it wasn't some cushy posh place, it was a memorable experience for me to indulge in some family warmth away from home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

书院人家书院人家
书院人家

Where we had lunch. The dishes are known to be typical dishes from the agricultural village.


Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb