Trick or Treat!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
November 1st 2009
Published: November 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

You might think that we wouldn’t get much of a Halloween celebration here in Shanghai, but that’s frightfully wrong! Although Halloween is an American holiday, the word has spread, and our neighborhood was mobbed last night by an international group of ghosts, goblins, princesses, Buzz Lightyears, pumpkins, and my favorite, a team of Ghost Busters! We went all out, with the decorations, which is rare here, including a strobe light, creepy music, and a skull/ghosty thingy hanging from a tree on a string which Serge would pull at strategic times to make “levitate” and freak people out. To top it off, Serge and I were dressed head-to-to in FABULOUS disco costumes. We had them made at the fabric market here - shiny silver pants and a metallic royal blue shirt for Serge, and top-to-bottom iridescent purple for me! It was the blonde Afros that topped it all off.

We have never seen so many trick-or-treaters in our lives. We’re guessing we had over 400 kids. They often came in droves of 30 or so at a time. Our friends Leigh and Brad joined us on the porch, and many times Leigh and I were both doing all we could to
Nice familyNice familyNice family

A vending machine, a hippie and two disco parents. Who could ask for a better family?
keep up with the crowd. It quickly became apparent that the three huge bowls of candy we had wouldn’t be enough. I thought I was better prepared after running out last year, but I guess not!

We had to call Anika and her three friends back to the house to confiscate their “reject” candy. Believe me, there’s plenty of that here. Some people’s idea of “treats” is questionable. For example, Chinese love something called a hundred-year egg. It’s an egg that’s been preserved over a long period of time into a vile concoction. We ended up with several of these in our reject bowl. I decided to give these to the neighborhood security guards who frequently stopped in front of our house to gawk at our bizarre behavior. They were thrilled!

Throughout the night it was as if the paparazzi was parked in front of our house. Between the decorations and our costumes, we were apparently quite the spectacle. After the crowds subsided, we began plotting for next year. Serge and I went to a great costume party afterwards, and commented on our way home that we thought we had more fun than the kids this year!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Anika and palsAnika and pals
Anika and pals

Anika and her friends Clown Hannah, Shanghai Taxi Cab Emily, and Pumpkin Caleb are getting ready to head out.
Disco Fever!Disco Fever!
Disco Fever!

You should just see our moves!
Check out this crowd...Check out this crowd...
Check out this crowd...

They just kept coming. We had several waves like this where families were piling up out in front of the house! No wonder we ran out of candy.
Crazy ForeignersCrazy Foreigners
Crazy Foreigners

The neighborhood guards must have had a very interesting night. And we think THEY do strange things??


1st November 2009

That's awesome Sally! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next year!!!
1st November 2009

I'm kind of jealous!
Wow! It seems like people in China are way more in to Halloween that kids in America are! I only saw about 10 other groups of trick-or-treaters last night aside from our group, and they were only groups of two or three kids. It must have been crazy to see that many kids out at one time! Also, the disco costumes were fabulous!
1st November 2009

I'm kind of jealous!
Wow! It seems like people in China are way more in to Halloween that kids in America are! I only saw about 10 other groups of trick-or-treaters last night aside from our group, and they were only groups of two or three kids. It must have been crazy to see that many kids out at one time! Also, the disco costumes were fabulous!
1st November 2009

Happy Halloween!!! Looks like you had an awesome time!!!!!!
1st November 2009

Too funny
What a hoot! LOVE the purple ABBA costume - it's perfect! We had a windy night with not much action... weird for a Saturday night.
2nd November 2009

GREAT!
Sally and Serge, AWESOME!! We only had about 75 kids as we really don't have many kids in the neighborhood anymore. However, our hit was that Sue dressed both dogs up as fairies (wings and skirts). I had to hold the big dog (Dream) on her leash as she tends to jump and could knock over some of the smaller kids, but the puppy (Chloe) had free range, and what kid doesn't love a puppy? I will send you the pictures. Take care.
2nd November 2009

Happy Halloween!
Not sure if the last message went through (hit a button by mistake):) Wow! I thought we had a lot of trick-or-treaters. That is the most amazing crowd ever! Love the costumes ... I could sooo see you and Serge as the new stars in "That 70's Show"! Looks like you all had a great night. Glad you are doing well. We think of you all often. Love, The Lupone's
4th November 2009

I want to come to your house!
That is soooo funny. Did you two ever get to try out some disco moves in your inspriational clothing? Very fun.
4th November 2009

Fantastic!!!!!
Sounds like fantastic night. I did nothing just hung out at home like I always do.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb