Shanghai and Hong Kong


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
May 16th 2009
Published: May 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Shanghai




So first I would like to start by saying that this is much over due. I realize I have been a lazy ass with not making any other entries in so long, but its tough when your in Bizarro world and tough to find computers that actually work properly.

So to begin I'll start with the furious time we had with trying to go to Xi'an. We woke up the next day and was informed by the tourist help desk at our hostel that we need to pick up our train tickets to Xi'an at the west station and then catch the train from the central station. At first this seemed odd, but we realized we were in China and things are a little weird. So we got to the train station purchased our ticket without a problem and set out to check out the Forbidden City. The Forbidden City was built by the Ming Dynasty between 1406 and 1420. It covers 7.8million square feet and has 9,999 rooms in. Apparently they believe that the God's live in a palace with 10,000 rooms and therefore the Emperor being all high and mighty deserves a palace with 1 less rooms than the God's. Either way the City was magnificent and wide spread, with many squares and thrones between the massive buildings. However even though it was extremely interesting and beautiful we were getting pretty tired of it after a short period of time and it was just building after building, throne after throne and them all looking the same. So after about 1.5 hours of being there we headed out the gates and I proved my bartering skills hadn't deteriorated and we bought some books off a gypsy for about 15% of what she was actually asking and in record time too, probably only took us about 2min to get her down that low hahaha

So after leaving the Forbidden City we went back to the hostel, grabbed our bags and we were off to the train station to head to Xi'an. We got to the Central station as instructed by the tourist help desk with an hour and a half to spare. After not being able to find our gate and finally finding someone that could speak English, we found out that with 40min before departure that we were at the wrong station and needed to be at the West station. So with a lot of cursing we sprinted for a taxi, where some prick was trying to prevent us from getting in a metered taxi and go with him in his private car. Obviously we weren't doing that as they rip you off and sometimes even rob you. So after almost punching the guy for not getting out of my way we were off. after 20min of driving we got stuck in a traffic jam 1.5km away from our destination so we jumped out in the middle of traffic and started sprinting with our 24kg bags on weaving through the traffic. Showing up at our intended departure gate 5min late. So we were obviously pissed off. We refunded our tickets and headed back to the hostel that had just screwed us over to figure out our next move.

We decided that we would just go straight to Shanghai instead as we found a flight for a good price instead of taking a 18hr train ride.

Once in Shanghai after a quick flight we went to a hostel that we had heard about, as we walked up to it, lone behold the couple from England, couple from Amsterdam and the guy from Brazil we had met the previous days in Beijing were sitting on the patio out front the hostel having a pint!!! This was quite the coincidence and a nice one at that was they are all really nice people.

That night after a few pints Jeremy, Gui (guy from Brazil) and myself, headed out to a nightclub in downtown Shanghai. Was our first time going out in China so it was fun, some good music and drinks. Got home around 4 or 5 am and was awoken by the others around 10am to go tour the city. After some much needed Tylenol to get over the wonderful headache we went on a day long tour of Shanghai. We walked probably 10-15km that day, but it was nice as we saw all of the city. Shanghai doesn't have much history as they are trying to be a modern city and is the 3rd largest financial city in the world. It was nice touring with the group as for once we didn't have to put any thought into where we were going and just followed along. One thing that is cool about Shanghai is the architecture, every building is designed differently and your hard pressed to find just plain square ones.

The next day the group of 7 of us, caught a train for the day to a small city of 6million people, called Hangzhou. We went to a park called Ling-yin temple, where there are tonnes of Buddah statues carved into the limestone rock. They are very remarkable and the detail in them was phenomenal. From there we went to West Lake which is right beside the temple, that has beautiful parks surrounding is, giving it a very peaceful feel to it. Grabbed some traditional Chinese food, KFC hahaha it was delicious I must say!! then headed back to the train station to head back to Shanghai.

The next couple days were spent checking out some random sights in Shanghai and lounging on a rainy day. After some discussion with the other travelers and viewing their pictures and videos of the Terracotta Army we realized it wasn't going to be worth the money to go see them. I felt after seeing the othere's videos that I had practically been there so I was fine with it.


Hong

Kong

After a 17hr overnight train from Shanghai to Shenzhen, which is on the southern border of China right across from Hong Kong. We arrived at around 7am and jumped in a taxi to the budget hotel that we had prebooked. After the cabbie dropped us off on the side of the street and just waved and mubbled some stuff in Chinese which we obviously understood his impeccable directions on where we had to go. We walked around for 2 hours through the ghetto with out massive packs on getting starred at the we were a zebra surrounded by Hyena's. Finally found the place, walked in, apprehensively paid for the room. We up to our luxurious suite... saw what a shit hole it was, walked down to the front desk and tossed them our keys without an explanation, forfeited our 20$ and took off. There was no way in hell we were staying in the dump!!!

After some delicious McDonald's breakfast hahaha we decided to say take er easy Shenzhen and hopped a train to Hong Kong.

Once arriving in Hong Kong it was a change we were longing for. A very multi-cultural city that speaks English and is clean!!! We were beside ourselves, it was like heaven not having to hear everyone around you hawking a huge spit everywhere you go. Man was that nice to be out of!!

After walking around briefly we found a closet of a room which was completely carpeted from floor to ceiling haha run by this crazy old man we obviously referred to as grampa.

That day we went and took the Tram to whats called 'The Peak'. It's the highest point overlooking the city and even though it wasn't the greatest weather it was still a great view!! you could see all of downtown HK and Kowloon. After that we walked through a magnificent park in the middle of downtown that had a nice waterfall in it and ponds with a bunch of fish. It was a nice surprise to stumble across.

The next day was just walked around the city and that night went and saw the light show that Hong Kong's buildings partake in which was pretty cool.

The next morning we decided that because HK was way too expensive for our broke asses we hopped a flight to Cebu City Philippines. We figured we'd get to some warm weather, cheap drinks and nice beaches....



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Hong KongHong Kong
Hong Kong

Just a couple random buildings


20th May 2009

I'm enjoying reading your updates and following your travels...sure wish I was young enough and had the courage to be doing this! Keep safe! Love Aunt Pam
26th May 2009

Hong Kong
Hi David, I wish I knew you were taking this trip, cause I could have hooked you up with a free room (nice one) in Kowloon. Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep safe.
30th May 2009

Stumps! Just got to reading the blog now. Sounds like your having a blast. Keep the updates coming! I hear Marcus and Tang are meeting up with you out there and I look forward to hearing all about the shenanagans.

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb