Getting soaked on the Bund


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
February 15th 2009
Published: February 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

You know, the day we were wallowing in self pity in the hostel room, feeling sick, it was warm and sunny outside. Today, feeling better and raring to go, the sky clouds over and the heavens open! Sod's law! We headed to the Bund, the famous stretch in Shanghai, and just as we were boarding the boat that would take us down the Huangpu River, the rain began. And the temperature dropped. And the winds started. But, as true Brits, we stuck it out, heading to the top deck of the boat for the best views (although, I admit, I retreated below deck, to the warmth, much sooner than Mark did!). We meandered along the river, passing all these weird and wonderful buildings that truly wouldn't look out of place on the front cover of a science fiction novel. The strangest is the Oriental Pearl Tower, probably the most famous landmark of Shanghai, which me and Mark disagreed on - Mark thought it was "cool", but I think it's quite ugly to be honest. But I suppose it doesn't really look out of place amongst all the other spaceship-type buildings along the Pudong shoreline. We were determined to stay along the Bund until nightfall (despite the rain), which is when Shanghai really shines (literally). The sky grew dark and suddenly all of the buildings were awash with colours and patterns, and we walked from the Bund down East Nanjing Road, the biggest shopping street in Shanghai, staring wide-eyed at all the neon lights. The Blackpool illuminations will never impress me again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



15th February 2009

you know . . .
you have a real talent for description. You're a great writer! Why not become a travel writer? Sounds absolutely beautiful there - am really glad you're enjoying it.
17th February 2009

I'm with the 'Ruler Of All That Is Not Light.'
it's not often I say this... but Ceri, you're wrong and Mark's right! That tower looks cool! I'm also struck by the double dragon headed catamaran pagoda thingy - (Sorry Deborah my discriptive writing doesn't quite hit the Ceri standard!). You must be glad that your Mother dragged you up in Manchester Ceri, well prepared for torrential rain! Glad you're better now and not wallowing in whatever it was you were wallowing in at the hostel!
18th February 2009

Amazing
Maybe joining you two for the shanghai leg of the journey would have been a better idea. Beijing was great, but your description of shanghai and the images have me really wanting to see the sights for myself. You are cruel to show off how much fun you are having and the grat sights you are seeing. P.S I am sorry Mark but i don't see what is so great about the Pearl tower. It just looks weird to me.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb