DAY 2 SHANGHAI


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
November 19th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our day started early. Brentley shadowed his friends at school. They both attend an international school here in Shanghai. Sheri and I started with a morning work out at the gym in her compound then onto the west side of town to a pearl market. WOW, it is overwhelming... pearls and more pearls and pearls anyway you want them! We were so caught up in the moment that we stayed there all morning. Fun times and GREAT shopping! A stop to the local flower shop - where I was witness to a small fight - the interesting thing to this was it wasn't an Amerian brawl like you may see in the states... Two men were arguing and one slapped the other, words were passed, the police were called and the fight was over... Later our driver said the fight was over one man insulting a shop owner over his merchandise. Tempers will flare anywhere... After the sideshow we then headed to a Cambodian restaurant in the French Concession area of Shanghai. This area is on the west side of the Old City and is full of upscale cool shops and cafes. The lunch was incredible (can you tell I love food), rice, spring rolls, chicken, beef and a wonderful coconut dessert! Later a drive through east and west of Shanghai really allowed me to see how big this city is! My hostess says 18 million and 1 1/2 times larger than New York City. Absolutely HUGE! After today's drive I will be concentrating on photos dealing with clothes - the locals dry all their clothing out the window as do some others in other countries; however, this clothes line is so very enormous because of the population and highrises... so expect to see a new theme in my photos... clothes hanging!

After lunch we headed home and then Brentley and I took off to the east side to an acrobatic show where a man balanced himself in some incredible ways, think crazy... and the grand finale (what Brentley was anticipating) 8 of the acrobats on motorcycle driving around in a steel ball AT ONE TIME... pretty interesting...

Another fun day in Shanghai!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



21st November 2008

Wow, the clothes line really makes me appreciate having a dryer! I am really loving the blog!

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb