A peachy day


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
April 4th 2008
Published: April 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Colors of springColors of springColors of spring

The pink blossoms in the background are the peach blossoms. Interestingly enough, the yellow flowers in the foreground are from the plant that canola oil is made from. It is abundant in this area.
Spring has arrived in Shanghai and along with it the abundant peach blossoms of the Nanhui district. Recalling memories of Michigan celebrations such as Shepherd’s maple syrup festival, Houghton’s tip-up-town, and Frankenmuth’s Oktoberfest, we decide why not try the Peach Blossom Festival, Shanghai style! Let me tell you, the Chinese really know how to kick back and have a good time. We have often noticed that the Chinese seem to enjoy the simple things in life. Their sense of fun is a bit juvenile and conservative compared to the USA mindset, but entertaining and enjoyable nonetheless.

There was food China style (grilled squid anyone??), baby ducks for sale - while disturbingly right next door the live chickens for sale for tonight’s dinner, pigling races, amusement rides and games, and of course, loads of Chinese families armed with their cameras taking photos of anything beautiful - especially their kids among the mass of purple, yellow, and white flowers. The weather was gray, but the spirit was lively.

This day was a national holiday called “Qing ming” or “tomb sweeping day”. For many Chinese citizens, on this day, they would visit the tombs of their kin to “sweep” and clean the
Welcome to the celebrationWelcome to the celebrationWelcome to the celebration

Cai, our driver and companion for the day, at the entry to the main festival area.
tomb in remembrance and respect for the deceased. However, while attending the tomb is nearly mandatory for those who are able, for those whose deceased relatives are resting too far for travel, this was a great alternative way to spend a family day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Mom, can't I have one?!Mom, can't I have one?!
Mom, can't I have one?!

They're oh so cute, but later, they become a noisy, pooping duck! Alas, we may have to appease her with a hamster instead.
Fresh chicken anyone?Fresh chicken anyone?
Fresh chicken anyone?

The Chinese people are so friendly towards us - not so sure the chickens feel the same way though!
Cute and fluffyCute and fluffy
Cute and fluffy

The entry street was lined with sweet looking stuffed animals. Perfect to appeal to the parents wanting to spoil their child or husband/boyfriend wanting to indulge their sweetheart.
A cotton pickin' good memoryA cotton pickin' good memory
A cotton pickin' good memory

How long it has been since we've savored the sticky, sweet taste of cotton candy. Here, we stood right next to the vendor as she stuck a stick into the spinning sugar filaments and made the treat by hand. Cost: approx. 70cents per stick of candy.
TranquilityTranquility
Tranquility

Willows are blooming around the small canal winding through the village. Peach blossoms are abundant as are small boats on the canal to be enjoyed by those at the festival.
My flower manMy flower man
My flower man

In China, "flower man" is a term describing a man who has many women. While this doesn't exactly describe Matt, he does look cute peeking out of the blooms of yellow!
Flower girlFlower girl
Flower girl

Jessie dons a homemade wreath of willow branches and blossoms taken from the pathway trees of the festival. Many, many girls and babies were wearing these. Nice that this practice of handmaking your own wreath from village trees was not discouraged.
A springing good timeA springing good time
A springing good time

Jessie and Ty both really enjoyed this psudo-bungee activity. While Jessie took the record for height flung, Ty outdid her in "tricks" while flying through the air.
Go piggy go!Go piggy go!
Go piggy go!

They're cute, they're fast, and they really made me laugh as they raced around the track.
Children are importantChildren are important
Children are important

I just love to watch the Chinese families enjoying their children. Here, note the smile on the older woman's face as her granddaughter is being photgraphed by her parents. I thought the picture of the picture takers was more interesting than the child in the trees.
Squid on a stickSquid on a stick
Squid on a stick

It's hot and smells so good, not to mention that the cook danced a jolly jig as they sizzled on the grill; however, even at a mere $0.70 per stick, we couldn't be convinced to try it.
Simple pleasureSimple pleasure
Simple pleasure

While there were mazes to traverse, carnival type games, and river crossing challenges, many people just enjoyed boating or walking through the blossom lined paths and canals.
Styrofoam manStyrofoam man
Styrofoam man

Finally!!!! I captured an image of "styrofoam man"! These bicycle riding wonders are infrequently spied around Shanghai streets. Furthermore, coming upon one with a camera in hand is indeed a lucky find! So this is the perfect ending to our peachy day!
Bye bye styrofoam manBye bye styrofoam man
Bye bye styrofoam man

Yes, these contraptions do disrupt bicycle traffic. In the bike lanes, they sometimes occupy the entire lane! By the way, the spanish looking homes in the background are part of our Vizcaya neighborhood.


Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb