The routine is . . .


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
March 13th 2008
Published: March 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lotus Market, near hospital in PudongLotus Market, near hospital in PudongLotus Market, near hospital in Pudong

Lynn went shopping here after trip to Suzhou
. . . morning we explore; afternoon Richard talks, Lynn explores; evening we go out for dinner. Now we are talking to the post-graduate students and resident staff of SCMC, which seems to be more affiliated with the Jiao Tong University School of Medicine (formerly the Number Two School of Medicine, the one associated with the municipality of Shanghai). We also see patients--we all three sit in front of the group --Mark Simms, Ken Grizzle, and myself -- and the parents come in with their child and their scans and records. We get a few sentences of history and from there on it's catch-as-catch-can. The problems are not that difficult or complex -- a boy with ADHD, a boy with tics, a girl with cognitive delay and seizures -- but the doctors here see about one hundred patients a day, and they never get a chance to gather the basic background information, examine the patient systematically, and talk to the parents, so this is educational for them.

Lynn's excursions have been 1) Wed: to the Luwan district to visit the travel agent and arrange our trip to Xi'an; lunch across the street from Shanghai Eye and Ear with a bunch of cats (I'll let her explain); 2) Today she and I took subway to the SUPER BRAND Mall in Pudong, a big slab of a building filling a whole block and 10 stories inside of mall, looking like all of Michigan Av. in one place.

Dinners: last night on the tip floor of same mall (see pictures) and this evening . . . .

well, one of the pediatricians here that Mark is good friends with, has been promoted over the years through med school administration, to public health administration, to now being one of the vice-mayors of Shanghai. He hosted a private dinner for us at the Rujin Hotel in the French Concession area, a big compound converted from a 1930s private estate. We ate in the room where Chiang Kaishek proposed to the future Madame Chiang--a large living room with a big fireplace, attentive staff, Dr. ( )'s personal bodyguard hanging around outside. I thought about grandpa J's correspondence with Madame Chiang and her letter of response. I didn't discuss grandpa's strong pro-Nationalist leanings with Dr. ( ). (It's not a secret--I just don't remember his name! Chinese names are awfully hard to retain. This is why handing out business cards is so helpful. I didn't bring any of mine which I could kick myself for.)

As with all these other dinners, we were given little gifts in bags. This one was a stamp and coin album with Shanghai-related stamps and postcards, mounted aside photos and maps of Shanghai regions and features--really classy!

Tomorrow I spend the day with the neurologists and students talking about neuromuscular disorders and seeing patients--God only knows what they have in store!--while Dr. Jin takes Lynn, Mark, and Ken to Suzhou for the day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb