Snack time!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
October 24th 2004
Published: September 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

It is another sunny day in Shanghai and Kay and I have a made an appointment with Joanne today at noon. We have some time to kill so I show her around the newly discovered Yu Yuan food market which is a sure winner. More meat sticks follow. We then travel to People's Square and wait for Joanne, first at a bench in the park, and then in one of the oversized department stores. As she arrives we head for a coffee house and sit down to plan a bit about how to reach Yiwu tomorrow. We are given directions to the main railway station and instructions on how to obtain train tickets.

Taking the MTR northbound we arrive at the busy station and a sizeable hall full of crowds lining up at the ticket counters. However, obtaining tickets is exceptionally easy, as there is a special English speaking counter where the line is pretty much non-existent. After purchasing tickets (One way costs 78 yuan) we head back to our favourite food court at WuJiang Lu. Kay picks up some strange sour fruits on a stick and I buy a deck of cards depicting famous Emperors at a tourist trapping which offers lots of Chairman Mao memorabilia. Kay finds some more meat sticks and we walk past a woman selling insanely good smelling crayfish which we try out with some vegetables at a restaurant.

On the way to the hotel we stop by at the eastern end of Nanjing Lu to shop some weird sweets and in a nearby market I find a small stall where more traditional games are available. I pick up a cheap Go and a Chinese Chess game. We play some cards at the room and try out the rather tasteless Asian sweets (I still have some of the jelly snacks for anyone wanting to have a go) and the more expensive replicas of western candy which we both prefer. Kay always had a thing for jelly bears, and I am fascinated by the small and shiny silver coated chocolate balls.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Yo, check it out byeatches!Yo, check it out byeatches!
Yo, check it out byeatches!

Know what'm sayyin'?


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb