French Concession


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
June 27th 2007
Published: June 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

French Concession French Concession French Concession

Tree-lined streets
There's an area in Shanghai known as "little Paris". Hmm... it doesn't quite compare, but the streets are all lined with trees and there are some cute stone alleys and villas. I guess the area had a French presence after the Opium war, and hence this neighborhood has a French influence.

There are many "walking tours" of the French Concession and I joined one of M's acquaintences who is visiting Shanghai from the UK for the week. We started out at Sun Yetsen's old residence, which has turned into a museum and historic destination. Sun Yetsen was the forerunner of the Chinese democratic movement and considered one of China's greatest leaders in history. His house was modest, and they made us wear plastic bags over our shoes to enter his house.

We walked around the French Concession, and walked through Fuxing Park. Despite the heat and humidity, we walked around for about 2 hours.

Tomorrow, I'm going with M to Zhujiajao, an old town an hour away from Shanghai. Zhujiajao is an old fishing city and there are a lot of old buildings and canals. We hired a car to take us. Although more expensive, it offers
French Concession French Concession French Concession

The side walk is uneven in the middle -to help guide the blind
more flexibility and convenience. I'd probably prefer to get the bus experience, but I more strongly prefer to have a travel buddy!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

French Concession French Concession
French Concession

Alley with cafes - great for cooling off!


28th June 2007

Ah, finally pictures. Please add more pictures of interesting places and people, and events. also, if possible, give us your deeper feelings and observations you have of the place; like social and economic development , the people and their interactions, ... etc. Most of all, have fun. :)

Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0798s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb