Shanghai and all that Jazz


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Xujiahui
May 10th 2008
Published: May 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Woke on the sofa in the hotel and went with Ben and Anita to look for a laptop for Nita. The technology malls in Shanghai are quite something, 6 stories high and every shop filled with workers. Filled with workers mainly cos they dont have to pay them much and China's need to create 24 million jobs per year to cope with demand. Find a small laptop for about 300 quid (it had poker capabilites which was the only box that Nita needed ticking!) but HSBC were not open (strange) and we could not get any cash from any bank so paid on card. Still wearing my clothes from the night before i was hot and needed some food so we met the others and headed to Peoples's Square and had a McDonalds!! Get in there! Big Mac seemed not so big tho.
The boys (Sam, Ban and myself split from the group and went to the Players Arena which is a HUGE gamers heaven where money is put on a credit card to use all over. We kicked footballs, played tennis, shot zombies and went to a Chinese horror house which was gash at best. Funny tho. Sweating profusely we entered the empty glass lift (on 8th floor) and headed up. The sweat grew as did the stench from our BO glands and every floor was stopped on way up and then down as more and more people got on the lift (caught on vid - post later) We were reduced to giggling school children as the 30 or so others in the lift would not go near us yet were crammed amongst themselves!! Stinky lawei (foreigners)!!
Greeted by a brilliant breeze when we finally got outside we trekked round Shanghai looking at the Bund and then visited about 15 different musical instrument shops, looking at guitars (fake and real), bass guitars and other stuff. One shop turned into a mini gig with Sam, who was itching like a crackhead for a smash on the drums, on the bass, ben on guitar and the lad in the store on the drums. A crowd developed and i caught some on vid (post later). Tired and hot we headed back to the hotel for a kip.
We met the others near People's Sq at 8pm and headed to an American Diner for dindins. Had a blue cheese burger and then Kelvin, Sam and I stayed downstairs and listened to an amazing Jazz band who were funkier than Jesus on bass guitar. The band were from Austrailia, Noth Dakota and San Paulo and schooled me on the art of Jazz. Headed back to the hotel where Sam and I watched Lord of War. Which was nice.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb