Bundy Beers


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Jing An
October 21st 2008
Published: October 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

67 days after beers in the Black Lion we arrived in Shanghai on a warm afternoon and were met by the friendly faces of Helen and Orlando at the chaos of Shanghai railway station. Before we knew it we had dropped off our bags and were enjoying cold Tsing Tao and fresh sandwiches(without the usual chinese sweet bread) looking out over sunset from about the 15th floor! Afterwards we regailed travelling stories around Shanghai's buzzing bar scene, which included some rather bizarre serbian music and dancing in a French Concession bar.

The next day feeling rather hungover, we relaxed around Jing'an and I was reunited with my Laptop. Later we made our way to the Bund, the old colonial area on the river, the old European style buldings now having been superceeded by a dramatic skyline of glowing skyscrapers. We enjoyed some fancy cocktails and some more beer overlooking the Bund before retiring to a small Japanese bar, where we had fun jamming away the evening with guitars and bongos. The girls went home whilst myself and Orlando stayed on for another beer and then realised we had no keys for their 3rd floor flat, our phone batteries were dead and he'd recently unplugged the doorbell due to frequent 'knock' and runs.

So after much deliberation and attempts to work the local pay phones, I helped Orlando scale the backyard fence... next thing I hear is are noises of some upset dogs and the angry tones of the neighbours, I look up to see Orlando practically leeping over the 10 foot fence, safe from the local gaurd dogs in trail. Fortunately Helen and Lucy had heard all this commotion and let us in.... phew.

We relaxed for another day in the warmth of Shanghai before heading to Beijing, knowing that next week we'll be back for a week of Shanghai shenanigans.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



24th October 2008

Beard
When "out for dinner" Tom now looks like an Open University lecturer. What will the beard to next...? Still jealous, sounds awesome, especially the amatuer burglary attempt.
26th October 2008

Beard: Not long left
There has been much debate regarding the forthcoming status of the facial hair debacle, handle bars? ZZ-top,french philosopher style, or probably just boring clean shaven! I've had many chinese people laugh at me, take photos and one girl stopped me in the street to say I looked like Santa!
27th October 2008

Obviously
ENORMOUS mutton chops, of course.
2nd November 2008

well I think it has got to go. Instead of looking lkie me younger cousin you look like an older Uncle. But i must say it is quite an acheivment. Glasd you to are having a good time. Take care. love Jen

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb