Yu Gardens & Bazaar


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Huangpu
December 22nd 2011
Published: July 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

There are two charming areas in Shanghai, the French Concession and Yu Gardens. While the French Concession boasts a distinctly European flare, Yu Gardens is a reflection of old Shangai. As you walk down Fuyou street the wider roads turn into a smaller one lined with huge Chinese buildings. The entrances into Yu Gardens are marked by small openings which are quite easy to miss. If you end up at Anren street you’ve gone too far.

Once you enter into the bazaar there is a lot to take in. First there is a huge courtyard area, usually milling with tons of tourists taking in all the sites. There are also small make-shift rooms that demonstrate what life must have been like in 18th century Shanghai. While efforts have been made to preserve the old buildings and small shops, modernity and global brands such as Haagan Das, etc. can be found amongst the shops in the gardens. There are many food areas and the Huxinting tea house there. Stopping for a bite to eat or lunch is a great way to enjoy your day here.

Even through it’s busy, the walk around the courtyard is quite serene. The highlight of the area is the Huxinting tea house. The original structure was build in 1794 and later converted into a tea house in the 19th century. The tea house is a massive structure built on stilts, sitting quietly above the water. There is a zig zag bridge that links the bazaar to the garden area. The bridge is the best place to take pictures of the tea house with the garden as a back drop. You can also see some of the fish swimming in the water. If you want to enter the garden there is a small entrance fee.

On the other side of the maze; on the south west side off Fangbang road you can enter in the City God Temple. Decorated in gold and deep burgundy you can see feel the importance and grandeur of the temple.

The area just to the west of the bazaar also has a maze of small alleyways with discount and bulk shops. You can get just about anything in these small streets. We were there a few weeks before Chinese New Year. The shops were bursting with bright read ornaments, envelops, decorations and knick knacks. You can also try some local street food in the area!

Yu Gardens and Bazaar is a must see site if you visit Shanghai. The best way to get there is take the subway to Dashijie station. Walk towards Renmin road until you get to Henan South Road. Walk south and until you hit Fuyou road. Look up to see the huge massive Chinese buildings. You can’t miss it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb