Quick update...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai » Fengxian
December 16th 2011
Published: December 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hey friends,

Today was another great day. It's late and we wanted to squeeze in just a quick update.

Shanghai is such a weird blend of old and new. Today we saw a man walk an enormous wooden cart full of wood scraps (?) through a busy intersection and park it in front of the Porsche dealership. This kind of weirdness is not uncommon in this city.

We went Dongtai road where there was lots of antiques to peruse. We also found our way around some crazy food markets where fish were being gutted still alive on the street. As is most of Shanghai, it was overwhelming and Nora got some great photos.

The highlight of the trip thus far has got to be the acrobat show we saw. We saw Era - Intersection of Time at Shanghai Circus World. It sounds cheesy and we aren't normally awestruck by any sort of organized or traditional activity but we were so pleasantly surprised. Most of the acrobatics are of the sort we've all seen on TV over the years but, this was amazing. We were both agape and in awe the whole time. You can see some photos of the show here:

http://http://www.era-shanghai.com/era/en/photos/

Our train for Guilin leaves around 5pm tomorrow so we still have a bit of time left. All in all Shanghai has been amazing but we're glad to be leaving. It's a real sensory overload with all the noise, pollution, insane traffic and huge crowds. No matter how far we travel on the train, every time we emerge from the underground we're treated to yet more enormous skyscapers and huge concrete pads. The city is very safe but just has a somewhat cold feeling to it.

I believe our train ride tomorrow is about twenty hours or so, so it'll be another couple of days before another update but, I'm sure we'll have more good news then!

Găitiān zàiliáo!

Note: There are a number of photos I have to upload with this and previous posts but I can't figure out how to do that from this computer. Next time there is an update check these other posts for photos.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb