Shandong Museum in Jinan


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shandong » Ji'Nan
November 14th 2012
Published: November 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After my 2 periods of teaching we got the 10-30am bus back to the city campus and had the bus driver stop at the Shandong museum which is near the Olympic Park complex.



From the city you can take a 115 bus from the corner of LiShan Lu and JingShi Lu, east along Jing Shi for quite a long way, until you come to a very imposing domed building on the left hand side just before the Olympic Park complex.



There are 3 floors of exhibits, all beautifully presented, innovative lighting and display techniques, easy to understand floor layout, lifts, escalators and staff galore. A café, clean toilets and free entry make this a must see when you visit Jinan.



There are halls which each have a speciality such as Ming Dynasty, Han Dynasty, Calligraphy, Prehistoric, Buddhist, and Confucius.

There were enough English signs to understand most areas although most individual pieces had only Chinese explanations.



State of the art temperature controls were evident particularly with some of the pieces being from 6000BC and earlier.

There was a strong emphasis on the Shandong province and also on excavation of historic sites.



Some of the pieces were found underwater, pictures showed their excavation, and these are now stored and displayed in a water borne environment.



A bonus display was a temporary art exhibition from current Chinese artists. This was magnificent and came with some brilliant free reading material outlining the artists’ works with some of the works included in the brochures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

PotteryPottery
Pottery

This reminded me of my mothers pottery, she did lots of library research into styles and i think copied this


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb