China: Beijing to Xi'an


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
September 29th 2012
Published: September 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sept. 28-29

The most memorable feature of the last two days was our overnight train ride from Beijing to Xi'an. The train had compartments with two sets of bunks that sleep four people (think small inside cabin on a cruise ship). Our tour group was kind enough to buy two tickets for each of us, so we were SUPPOSED to have just two people per compartment. However, there was some miscommunication, so it looked as though Wayne and I might be sharing with one or two strangers. At the very last minute a railroad employee helped us out by switching someone to another car, so we did in fact have a "private" compartment, and in retrospect it is hard to imagine how 3 or 4 people and their stuff could shoehorn into this space, not to mention being able to change clothes and sleep. Two single women on our tour did get put into a foursome, with a young Russian couple. They were good sports and didn't complain (much), except to say it was a "little awkward."

Wayne and I managed to sleep fairly well, despite the smoke coming in from the next compartment (SO thankful for no-smoking laws
in the US!), and we tried really hard to keep our visits to the Happy Room to a bare minimum, as this one was decidedly disgruntled. As the sun rose, we could begin to see the scenery of the area around Xi'an: terraced mountains, corn and sunflower fields, pomegranate orchards, scattered shrines. We pulled into the station at 8 a.m., and entered a mob scene. If you've seen the movie, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, you may recall the arrival of the Englishmen in India and how they were jostled and bumped and pushed along. Today is one of the biggest travel days in China, as they are having a double holiday this weekend: the Moon Festival and National Day. Every vehicle imaginable was fighting with a sea of pedestrians to get out of the parking area - a little frightening, actually, but Michael managed to herd all of us ducklings to our bus and get us to our new hotel.

Entering the Xi'an Garden Hotel, was like arriving in Eden. We went directly through the ornate lobby, past the duck pond and arched bridges to an elegant breakfast buffet. We were "ordered" to eat a lot, as this was
"blanch" (brunch), and we wouldn't eat again until 5 p.m., so we did our best. Then on to the historical museum where we had a preview of the terra cotta warriors that we will see in situ tomorrow.

Oh, I almost forgot about our Tai Chi lesson and biking on the city wall - whew, no wonder I'm tired...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb