Awesome Warriors!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
October 5th 2009
Published: November 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Terracotta Warriors



We decided to see the most famous attraction in these parts early in the week. We joined a group tour and headed out after a delicious breakfast. There are times when you know that your group for the day will be a good mix of people and you'll all have a good time. AND there's a point when you know almost immediately who the idiot is who'll ruin the day for everyone else. (Experience on a package trip to India many years ago). Luckily for us we had the good mix. Everyone was laughing, friendly and chatty. The poor guide really couldn't get a word in so she gave up after a while. We three were the 'oldies' in the group but that didn't matter. The rest were made up of 20 somethings from Australia, US, Canada and Romania (hi Monica).

We visited a terracotta warrior factory where the women looked overworked and underpaid. It was interesting to see but like all Chinese tours you must visit the Government approved factories and stores to help rake in more kwai. We were shepherded into the sales office where all warriors of all sizes were available
Each one is differentEach one is differentEach one is different

...so they say.
for purchase.

Next up was lunch. A quick one because we wanted to spend time with the 'real' warriors. Usually included lunch on these tours is not a very nice meal (experience on the tour to Mutianyu great wall). But to give credit where credit is due, the food was delicious despite the cranky waitresses, and we stayed longer than originally planned because we were enjoying it.

Back on the road to the main attraction, where we are competing with thousands of others to see the army that had been entombed for 2200 years. In 1974, three farmers were digging a well only to discover more than just water. Well actually they didn't discover water. One of the farmers was here this day signing books. No pictures please but you know I can't resist, so I snapped one off from belly button level.

At this point, I'd like to mention our guide, Jia Jia. When we arrived at our final destination she didn't want to lose any of her flock so she asked for all our entry tickets back. This seemed a little strange but I think it was just a control method. So we were walking along to the theatre to watch the preliminary info movie when she dropped the bundle of tickets. I reached down an picked mine up again very quickly and continued to walk. One thing about the chinese, they don't like confrontation, so there was no asking for it back. Next thing we know is she refuses to give us the tickets for the theatre. My guess is that she re-uses them for each group to save money for either the tour company or for herself. I asked for mine back and she gave them only to the three of us. The tickets are a great souvenir for being here. Good pics etc. The only reason why we wanted them anyway.

About the warriors......"Awesome" There is nothing else to say but "Awesome" We spent a couple of hours in the 3 pits and could've spent more time. I have many pics of them from different angles and distances but I won't bore you with them all.

Back on the road to Xi'an. The chatting starts straight away and lasts all the way back. A few of us decided to take advantage of the free drop off at the Big Goose Pagoda. Something the driver didn't want to do in peak hour and our guide tried desperately to change our minds. I ask her if there are any restaurants around the pagoda and she, in her efforts, said only KFC. But we were adamant. So before we were hastily pushed out the door, we had arranged the next day with all but one of the team to hire the bus and driver on the sly to take us to Huashan for the following day. All agreed.

The Big Goose Pagoda



We arrived in time to climb the seven levels to the top of this fine pagoda for the sunset. A beautiful sight despite the smog. But we had limited time to spend in the entire complex because of our late arrival and made our way to the exit. Funny though from the top floor of the Pagoda we see a brilliantly lit area that looks like there's a lot more to the area than a KFC restaurant. We walk across the square, take some staged shots of the pagoda in our hands and find a street market with all kinds of food just like in Beijing. Monica
The Three AmigasThe Three AmigasThe Three Amigas

Uno dos tres
and I are brave enough for the Scorpions on a stick. Joel tries one too. They taste just like french fries.

What an incredible place to be at night. Activity, colours, people. And we spoiled ourselves with ice cream. The fountain show is due to start at 9pm so we head over to get a good position.

There are thousands of people milling around the fountain square and we enjoy the half hour show of music and lights and water. Very nice. We wander back to the markets and I sit for a caricature artist while the others shop for souvenirs. It was a fabulous day and tomorrow we head out early for Huashan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Don't mess with me!Don't mess with me!
Don't mess with me!

Groovy pose shots outside the factory.
One of the 3 original finders of the siteOne of the 3 original finders of the site
One of the 3 original finders of the site

A sneaky shot before the "no pictures please"


Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 85; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb