Xian


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
February 14th 2006
Published: February 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We made a quick pit stop in Xian to see the famous terracota warriors, touted by the Chinese as the eighth wonder of the world, they were indeed very impressive; the pictures do not do them justice. Commissioned two thousand years ago by the first chinese emporer to protect himself in his afterlife, the six thousand life size warriors stand in battle formation each with unique physique, dress, and weapons ready to fend off evil spirits. With an interesting humanist philosophy the benevolent emperor had all contributing artisans (there must have been thousands) silenced permanently in order to keep his underground army a secret; which it was, until twenty years ago when a serendipitous peasant sinking a well discovered the wonder.

Xian itslef was mildly interesting. The thirty kilometres of restored city wall with intermitent guard towers was impressive, bell and drum towers nice architecture, most fun was watching chinese families flying kites in drum tower square. Lots of touts at the station though, antique market not as good as Pingyao, and the hotel highly recommended by LP crap.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



14th February 2006

Xi'an
I don't know how much time you spent in Xi'an, but you need months to do it justice. There is so much history there and both the town and countryside is absolutely filled with interesting sites that tour books never mention. There is just too much there to see. For instance in the extreme northwest corner inside the walled city is a very interesting working Buddhist temply ... not a tourist trap temple, but a real working one. Many Chinese do not know it is there. I could go on, but space and time do not permit a travelogue of all there is to see in and around Xi'an. I was fortunate and have been there several times working at a university in Xi'an.

Tot: 0.402s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.3318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb