Toy Soldiers - Terracotta Warriors


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
November 22nd 2007
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post


Arrive into Xi An (pro: shee An) nice & early on an over night bus, first impressions of Xi an is not that good but on closer inspection and away from the train station its a lot nicer, straight away I grab a nudal soup and order it in Chinese... store my bag at the station and buy my train ticket to Beijing for the same night....

We quickly find what bus to take to the terracotta Warriors, its pretty cool, in fact its downright AWESOME!! Ì mean what the hell was Emperor Qin thinking.....



The terra cotta warriors were accidentally discovered by Chinese peasants while digging a well in 1974. This discovery prompted archaeologists to proceed to Shaanxi, China to investigate. No one knows why this site became buried and lost among memories in the clay and in the minds of China. What they found was the ancient burial-site of the first Chinese Emperor Qin Shihuangdi. These warriors were placed all around the burial tomb of Emperor Qin. Before Qin, masters were buried with women, slaves, and soldiers. This tradition during China's feudal period vanished during the life of Qin. To substitute for the actual humans, Qin ordered a massive clay army to be produced for his protection. Qin wanted the afterlife to be the same as his life on earth. Qin produced a warlike culture in China, which brought him many enemies. During his lifetime there were three attempts to assassinate him, so he had to be protected in the afterlife. Rumour has it that those who built the army were buried along with it's clay warriors so the secret would never get out......



I bought a little souvenir as I was leaving,,. 3 little terracotta warriors for 10 euro ( for protection)... and when I left they were on sale outside for E1.... lol!

Back to Xi an, said a final but hopefull not forever goodbye to Yota and caught the over night sleeper to Beijing (417 RMB/Yuan)

Two minds whether to call John Candy or just get a hostel... although my own room and being able to just leave my stuff with out locking and unlocking is appealing....

My next and last stop on this 17 month world adventure.... Beijing


Some useful info for you hobo travellers

Admission Fee for Soldiers: CNY 65/90

Opening Hours: 08:00 to 18:00 depending on time of year

Bus Route: 914 and Tourist Bus 5 (306) at the East Square of Xian Railway Station



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Leaving Hotel, ChinaLeaving Hotel, China
Leaving Hotel, China

with THAT big Fekkkkkkking bag


17th August 2008

17 months!
Hi Brig, I cant beleieve its been 17 months since you left! What a trip! China looks amazing. Let me know when you're in Cork and I'll see you x

Tot: 0.316s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb